This Senior Director Venture Capital role is being created as part of Pfizer’s expanded venture capital strategy. The person who fills this role will, as a member of the venture team, eventually lead and manage Pfizer’s venture capital investment portfolio. They will need to create a network of contacts external to Pfizer within the entrepreneurial start-up ecosystem that includes entrepreneurs, investors, bankers lawyers, and other service providers. She / he will be responsible for identifying, and assisting in the negotiating, executing and managing individual investments in early stage private biotech/technology companies aligned with Pfizer’s scientific and business strategies. To be successful in the role, the appropriate candidate must not only have a good understanding of Pfizer’s priorities, across the various businesses and divisions, they must also be able to identify quality companies and management teams, working in areas aligned with Pfizer priorities, that are attractive to others in the external network of venture capital investors. This person will work with the venture team to build successful companies of potential strategic interest to Pfizer.
- Participate as an equal member of Pfizer’s venture team
- Identify investment opportunities in companies with breakthrough science/technology and strong leadership teams relevant to Pfizer’s businesses
- Build and manage diverse collaborative relationships across the Pfizer organization and create internal alignment
- Maintain, cultivate, and build relationships with early stage companies, entrepreneurs and broadly within the start-up ecosystem external to Pfizer.
- Build and foster a network of venture capital investment professionals.
- Develop knowledge of the equity capital markets.
- Support the execution of financings: that involve the establishment of investment terms, negotiating transactions, reviewing, overseeing and managing investment legal documents and executing cash transfers. With the goal of becoming a full investment manager.
- Manage and support a portfolio of investments ultimately through board participation and the oversight of the ongoing associated documentation and financial transactions.
- Manage investments to meet Pfizer Venture’s financial and strategic goals; facilitate corporate collaborations.
- Partner with other venture team members to manage Pfizer’s entire portfolio of venture investments to successful exits.
- Manage and streamline deal governance process and ensure compliance with corporate procedure; establish process and timelines to manage execution of transactions in a timely manner.
- Knowledgeably represent Pfizer in discussions with current and potential partners or other external audiences; routinely present and represent Pfizer’s venture capital activities at external meeting and conferences.
- Demonstrate collaboration, creativity, and responsiveness with all potential partners
- Lead and support initiatives to manage and continually improve the Worldwide Business Development (WWBD) function and develop its colleagues and culture
- Preference for advanced science/medical degree, legal degree and/or MBA/equivalent; bachelor’s degree required.
- Prior experience in working closely with, advising, and presenting to senior leaders on business development and/or strategy is desirable.
- Minimum of 5+ years related pharmaceutical development experience.
- Experience leading and/or significantly contributing to investments, partnerships, M&As, or other relevant transactions is preferred
- Prior experience presenting the business and scientific case of biopharma deal opportunities to cross-functional leaders
- Innovative, independent, clear, and critical thinker; highly resourceful; creative problem solving skills
- Strong relationship building skills is key
- Strong negotiation capabilities also desired
- Strong and effective verbal and written communication capabilities
- Demonstrated ability to deliver quality results
Frequent presence in New York headquarters and Cambridge MA required; ability to travel 25% or more
EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
If interested, please apply here.