The California Health Care Foundation (CHCF) (LinkedIn, Crunchbase) is dedicated to advancing meaningful, measurable improvements in the way the health care delivery system provides care to the people of California, particularly those with low incomes and those whose needs are not well served by the status quo. We work to ensure that people have access to the care they need, when they need it, at a price they can afford.
Health Innovation Fund Overview
The Innovation Fund invests in growing software and service companies to improve quality, cost, and access to health care for low-income Californians. We use equity, loans, and convertible notes like a traditional venture capital firm, but with a focus on social impact over financial return. Our aim is to forward CHCF’s mission by being the preferred partner of entrepreneurs and investors who are working to bring innovation into the Medicaid market.
Find more information on the Fund, its current portfolio, and health care venture capital advisors, here http://www.chcf.org/innovation-fund
Reporting to the director of the Health Innovation Fund, the senior program investment officer will source investment opportunities that are aligned with CHCF’s mission and lead the qualitative and quantitative analysis of those opportunities, including their impact toward CHCF’s goals. The ideal candidate will have strong knowledge about health care markets and delivery, as well as experience investing in companies.
Source and assess new investment ideas
- Develop a clear understanding of an ideal CHCF investment opportunity
- Identify potential investments through entrepreneur, investor, and health care payer and provider networks and through independent research
- Professionally conduct initial calls and meetings with prospective investment opportunities
Research investment opportunities and health care market segments
- Lead qualitative and quantitative analysis of investment opportunities, including their alignment with and impact on CHCF’s goals
- Analyze market size, competitive landscapes, and market segments
- Identify and engage domain experts for answers to specific questions
- Work with outside experts to execute investments, including legal review and financial structure
Assist existing portfolio companies to gain market traction
- Leverage personal skills and networks to assist portfolio companies
- Bring to bear CHCF’s networks and expertise to improve products and generate customers
- Lead grant work that may be paired with an investment, including evaluation of innovations in the safety-net setting
Help to build the capability and reputation of the Innovation Fund
- Be a visible presence for CHCF at local events and conferences
- Participate in outreach initiatives to bolster CHCF’s reach and reputation
- Assist with the development and maintenance of the fund’s investment portal, deal-tracking software, and other communications capabilities
- Three to six years of work experience at a health care services or information technology company or in venture capital, strategy consulting, investment banking, or equity research with a specific focus on health care
- Quantitative skills needed to review financial and market projections, balance sheets, and operating plans of potential and existing investments
- Analytic and critical reasoning skills to anticipate needs, recommend options, and implement solutions
- Writing and communication skills to translate complex ideas into clear, easy-to-understand concepts
- Interpersonal skills to build relationships with people at all levels and in multidisciplinary teams
- MBA or degree in a health field from a leading institution (preferred), undergraduate degree required
If interested, please apply here.