The Flex LabIX team is the emerging technologies investment arm of Flex with a portfolio of over 25 early stage investments. The mission of LabIX is to identify and invest in small companies with emerging technologies that offer cutting edge innovation to benefit the Flex ecosystem. By investing in these promising technologies our team enables Flex and its customers with expanded innovation.
Flex is seeking a Sr. Director to manage and grow the current LabIX portfolio and to develop the long term strategy for LabIX as it aligns with Innovation Initiatives guided by the Flex SVP Innovation & CTOs’ technology roadmaps.
The candidate will be located in San Jose, CA reporting directly to the SVP of Innovation and Technology Integration. We will only be considering candidates currently located in the Silicon Valley area and actively engaged in the venture and start-up ecosystem
The candidate should have global experience in technical investments and portfolio strategy. The candidate must be networked into the current VC and corporate venture capital communities and have a pulse on small emerging technology companies.
The candidate will be responsible for growing the LabIX team globally, representing the key regions where Flex Design Centers are located. The responsibilities for the role include alignment with internal stakeholders on investment priorities, sourcing of potential investments, leading the evaluation and diligence of investment, proposing investment structures, investment proposals, and post-closing engagement with portfolio companies to ensure investment success. Additionally, developing the global LabIX strategy will be a key initiative of this candidate in FY19.
Besides the expanded portfolio strategy, the candidate will have responsibility for managing of the current LabIX portfolio of companies in conjunction with the Flex Innovation and Finance teams. The candidate must build a strong network within Flex to gateway technology and utilize Flex’ global resource pool in our design centers, supply chain, innovation centers and global operations to provide In-Kind-Services to the LabIX company.
We Are Looking For Someone Who Demonstrates
- Intense collaboration
- Passionate customer focus
- Thoughtful, fast, disciplined execution
- Tenacious commitment to continuous improvement
- Relentless drive to win
Here is a glimpse of what you’ll do…
- Develop the deal sourcing, flow and investment strategy with key stakeholders within Flex (Innovation SVP, CTO, Corporate Strategy, Finance, Legal)
- Manage the current LabIX program to align with the Flex Technology/Application Roadmaps.
- Create a cohesive and collaborative LabIX investment team driving performance value investments globally.
- Provide Leadership, participate and coordinate due diligence activities required in making investment decisions, including the following:
- Screen business plans and investment proposals
- Completing market, product, technology, management team, financial and investment/valuation of potential investment and partnership candidates
- Generate and analyze financial models. Prepare documentation and drive the internal review process which will result in financing decisions
- Responsible for developing and managing the KPIs (Key Performance Indicators) for the LabIX Investment team
- Responsible for the monthly & quarterly updates regarding the LabIX portfolio health (investments, IKS (in kind services), customer satisfaction (CSMP), etc)
- Responsible for developing a LabIX outreach events initiative specific to Flex internal awareness as well as activities targeting the entrepreneurial ecosystem of VCs and Start-ups.
- Develop the FY19 LabIX Global Strategy (including entry points & VC alignment; Headcount, budget and marketing) in collaboration w/ Flex Finance, Legal, Corporate Strategy & Innovation.
- Responsible for developing potential partnerships – end-to-end assessment of issues (attractiveness, strategy, go-to-market, risks, criteria for decision, economic modeling and business planning).
- Responsible for the LabIX P&L and investment return analysis
Here Is Some Of What You’ll Need (required)…
- Bachelor’s degree in Technology/Engineering, Finance, Entrepreneurship or Business with emphasis on Finance & Investment (MBA a plus)
- 10 + years relevant work experience in one or more of the following environments: Venture capital consulting, venture capital company or Corporate Innovation investment.
- Established Network in the Silicon Valley VC ecosystem at a minimum (broader Global VC ecosystem preferred) with a track recording of working and/or investing in companies in Silicon Valley.
- Proven track record of investment deal flow with small companies and start-ups
- Managerial experience, running an investment team.
- Strong team player with excellent relationship and leadership capabilities
- Highest personal and professional values
- Superior written and oral communications
- Ability to work across multiple industries/markets and on a variety of business problems
- Management of direct and cross functional teams.
- Entrepreneurial and self-directed work style; flexible, high initiative and comfortable with ambiguity
- Strong understanding of business software, including Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and Word
- Background in P&L ownership and Investment return analysis algorithms
Here are a few examples of what you’ll get for the great work you provide…
- Full range of medical benefits, dental, vision
- Life Insurance
- Matching 401K
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Employee discounts at local retailers
If interested, please apply here.