The Sorenson Impact Center (SIC) is among the leading field building organizations in the impact investing sector and seeks to be on the cutting edge of accelerating the use of capital and investment for good around the world. The SIC is the primary global deal sourcing and due diligence partner of one of the most prolific impact investors in the country and has a team comprised of energetic, entrepreneurial and innovative gamechangers.
The SIC is housed at the University of Utah’s David Eccles School of Business and at the University of Utah’s David Eccles School of Business and is an organization that seeks to enable communities, governments, nonprofits, social enterprises, impact investors and philanthropists create impact through policy innovation, data science, and investment advisory work.
The SIC is located in Salt Lake City, UT, home to amazing biking, skiing, climbing and other outdoor pursuits. Located within an hour of Salt Lake are 9 ski resorts and 1,000 miles of mountain biking trails.
About the role
We are seeking an Investment Professional with a successful track record in impact investing and / or early stage venture capital investing to join the investment advisory team. The Impact Investing Senior Associate will be responsible for supporting the development of relationships with domestic and international funding partners (foundations, funds, NGOs, DFIs etc) to accelerate deal sourcing and field building activities for venture capital investment clients as well as the SIC overall. The role will contribute to the investment process for internal and external advisory clients, including sourcing, due diligence, structuring, and portfolio monitoring for Seed, Series A and Series B stage companies in the U.S. and emerging markets
such as India, Kenya, Rwanda, Ghana, Nigeria, Mexico and Brazil. Other responsibilities include conducting research projects for impact investing field building and providing oversight to graduate and undergraduate student deal teams. The role is a blend of a venture capital investor and a disruptive innovator in a fast growing sector.
Key responsibilities include:
- Business development
- Support the development of relationships with foundations, funds, DFIs, family offices and other organizations that have established impact investment portfolios
- Seek opportunities to collaborate with like-minded investors to identify new investment
opportunities, add value to existing portfolio companies, and bring awareness to impact
investing more broadly.
- Evaluation of new investment proposals
- Help maintain a robust investment pipeline within geographic and/or topical scopes
- Screen investment proposals for deals that fit impact and investment mandate
- Build financial models, and conduct financial and sensitivity analysis
- Conduct detailed business valuation exercises using various methods of valuation
- Conduct comprehensive risk assessment
- Maintain records and databases for all transactions
- Oversee preparation of investment proposal materials
- Advise diligence teams regarding investment recommendations and proposals
- Portfolio monitoring
- As needed, review periodic investee reporting and board documents
- Support portfolio management activities, including building periodic performance reports, gathering investee performance metrics, etc.
- Student mentorship
- Lead student teams as they conduct investment due diligence and prepare investment proposal materials.
- Educate students about basic venture capital techniques and the industry at large
- Provide preliminary feedback and edits of documents and financial models prepared/built by students deal teams
Work Environment and Level of Frequency typically required
Nearly Continuously: Office environment.
Physical Requirements and Level of Frequency that may be required
Nearly Continuously: Sitting, hearing, listening, talking.
Often: Repetitive hand motion (such as typing), walking.
Seldom: Bending, reaching overhead.
Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Health Care Administration or related area, or equivalency; eight years of progressively more responsible management experience; and demonstrated leadership, human relations and effective communications skills required. Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
A successful candidate should have:
- Relevant bachelor’s degree with strong academic performance
- Track record of successfully leading teams
- Demonstrated interest in impact investing and venture capital
- Desire to mentor and develop young deal teams and willingness and ability to teach concepts such
as financial analysis, modeling and industry analysis
- Experience with Foundations or Family offices is a plus
- International experience is a plus
- An entrepreneurial spirit and desire to be a part of a fast growing, disruptive organization that is seeking to lead a movement
If interested, please apply here.