The Sorenson Impact Center (SIC) is among the leading field building organizations in the impact investing sector and seeks to be on the cutting edge of accelerating the use of capital and investment for good around the world. The SIC is the primary global deal sourcing and due diligence partner of one of the most prolific impact investors in the country and has a team comprised of energetic, entrepreneurial and innovative game changers.
The SIC is housed at the University of Utah’s David Eccles School of Business and at the University of Utah’s David Eccles School of Business and is an organization that seeks to enable communities, governments, nonprofits, social enterprises, impact investors and philanthropists create impact through policy innovation, data science, and investment advisory work. The SIC is located in Salt Lake City, UT, home to amazing biking, skiing, climbing and other outdoor pursuits. Located within an hour of Salt Lake are 9 ski resorts and 1,000 miles of mountain biking trails.
About the role
We are seeking an experienced Investment Professional with a successful track record in impact investing and / or early stage venture capital investing to join the investment advisory team. The Impact Investing Manager will be responsible for developing relationships with domestic and international funding partners (foundations, funds, NGOs, DFIs etc) to accelerate deal sourcing and field building activities for venture capital investment clients as well as the SIC overall. The role will contribute to and selectively lead the investment process for internal and external advisory clients, including sourcing, due diligence, structuring, and portfolio monitoring for Seed, Series A and Series B stage companies in the U.S. and emerging markets such as India, Kenya, Rwanda, Ghana, Nigeria, Mexico and Brazil. Other responsibilities include conducting research projects for impact investing field building and providing oversight to graduate and undergraduate student deal teams. The role is a blend of a venture capital investor and a disruptive innovator in a fast growing sector.
Key responsibilities include:
- Business development
- Build and maintain relationships with foundations, funds, DFIs, family offices and other organizations that have established impact investment portfolios
- Identify opportunities to collaborate with like-minded investors to identify new investment opportunities, add value to existing portfolio companies, and bring awareness to impact investing more broadly.
- Evaluation of new investment proposals
- Create and maintain a robust investment pipeline within geographic and/or topical scopes
- Initial filtering of investment proposals for deals that fit impact and investment mandate
- Build financial models, and conduct financial and sensitivity analysis
- Conduct detailed business valuation exercises using various methods of valuation
- Conduct comprehensive risk assessment
- Maintain records and databases for all transactions
- Oversee preparation of investment proposal materials and participate in investment committee meetings
- Provide advice and recommendation on investment and fund proposals
- Portfolio monitoring
- Review periodic investee reporting and board documents
- Participate as Board Observer in investees board meetings
- Prepare periodic reports and working the deal teams to help in the monitoring of investees’ financial and strategic performance
- Student mentorship
- Provide coaching and mentorship to students as they conduct investment due diligence and prepare investment proposal materials
- Educate students about venture capital techniques and the industry at large
- Review/edit/provide feedback on documents and financial models prepared/built by students deal teams
This job description is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.
Work Environment and Level of Frequency typically required
Nearly Continuously: Office environment.
Physical Requirements and Level of Frequency that may be required
Nearly Continuously: Sitting, hearing, listening, talking.
Often: Repetitive hand motion (such as typing), walking.
Seldom: Bending, reaching overhead.
Bachelor’s degree in Economics, or other business related area, or equivalency (2 years of related experience is equivalent to 1 year of education). Strong academic record of accomplishment. Strong quantitative skills and experience with databases, spreadsheets, and other web based applications.
Understanding of basic financial concepts and an interest in building knowledge in investment management, superior oral and written communication skills, and the demonstrated ability to work independently essential. Additional experience may be preferred.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
A successful candidate should have:
- An MBA with strong academic performance
- Minimum five years’ work experience preferably from an investment role at an impact investing
Fund, foundation or accelerator. Strategy consultants with industry and deal experience will also be
- International experience is a plus
- Experience with the venture capital investment process (due diligence, negotiation and portfolio
- Experience mentoring and developing young deal teams and willingness and ability to teach
concepts such as financial analysis, modeling and industry analysis
- An entrepreneurial spirit and desire to be a part of a fast growing, disruptive organization that is seeking to lead a movement
If interested, please apply here.