Baird Capital, the direct private investment group of Robert W. Baird & Co. (“Baird”), seeks to a hire an experienced Healthcare Senior Associate or Vice-President to join its U.S.-based venture arm, Baird Venture Partners. Based in Chicago, Baird Venture Partners (BVP) has developed and executed upon investment strategies in Healthcare and Technology & Services by leveraging the team’s collective industry insight and expertise. Since its founding in 2000, BVP has invested in more than 65 companies, creating nearly $4.0 billion in company enterprise value.
The Venture Capital Senior Associate or Vice President, Healthcare role is designed for a self-motivated and ambitious individual who is passionate about healthcare and who will play an integral role in the BVP team by supporting in the generation of new investment ideas, in conducting due diligence for new investments, and in the management of current portfolio positions. The successful candidate will have a strong healthcare industry and/or clinical background and be able to understand, interpret, and integrate information from diverse disease areas in order to reach investment conclusions. It will also be critically important for the successful candidate to be proficient in financial modeling and to understand business principles and market dynamics in the Medtech, Healthcare Services, and Healthcare IT sectors.
Specific activities will include financial modeling using Excel, working with consultants to perform scientific and financial due diligence, preparing PowerPoint presentations for both internal and external audiences, working with attorneys to draft term sheets and investment documents, analyzing data from various information vendors, and maintaining proprietary firm databases. The complexity of work projects would be expected to increase as the Senior Associate develops. This position will be based in our Chicago office.
As a Heathcare Senior Associate, You Will
- Work with the Healthcare Partners to identify and develop investment thesis, and to proactively engage and manage potential entrepreneurs and co-investment partners to support thesis areas.
- Build and maintain detailed market models for products/diseases and company financial models
- Participate in and support the investment process from opportunity identification through due diligence and deal closing.
- Track sourcing and pipeline activities of new investment opportunities.
- Initial review and preparation of summary materials for potential new investment opportunities.
- Assist in board-level management of portfolio companies; attend board meetings as an observer in select cases, and work on projects to build portfolio company value.
- Manage internal reporting processes for the healthcare team (quarterly company reporting, valuation, etc.)
What Makes This Opportunity Great
- Opportunity to play a critical role on a global team focused on building world class healthcare companies
- Unique culture that values diverse backgrounds and perspectives while emphasizing teamwork and a strong sense of partnership
- Team of associates passionate about achieving great results for clients and giving back to the communities where we live and work
What We Look For
- Must have 3-5 years of professional experience in healthcare venture or private equity investing, healthcare investment banking or with a healthcare service or medtech company, in the areas of business development or M&A.
- History of academic success with a Bachelor’s degree from a top-tier university; graduate degree in business administration is preferred but not required
- Advanced Excel skills with knowledge of valuation techniques and financial modeling
- Strong communication skills with the ability to structure and present complex ideas and information in a simple and persuasive manner, both written and orally, across a wide-variety of audiences
- Organized, detail-oriented personality with the ability to multi-task in an entrepreneurial environment.
- Team player with a self-starter attitude, enjoying working in a non-hierarchical, collaborative firm culture.
- Passionate about helping new healthcare technology companies grow at scale.
- Well-developed business acumen and professional skepticism coupled with ability to “size-up” situations.
- Ability to solicit “buy-in” and support from multiple stakeholders.
- Ability to effectively manage and resolve difficult situations with compassion, empathy and good judgement.
- High emotional intelligence; strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills
- Exemplify the principles of Baird’s Culture and contribute to a culture centered on integrity, collaboration, and client service.
More About Baird
Baird is an employee-owned, international wealth management, capital markets, private equity and asset management firm with offices in the United States, Europe and Asia. Established in 1919, Baird has over 3,400 associates serving the needs of individual, corporate, institutional and municipal clients. Baird oversees and manages client assets of more than $200 billion. Committed to being a great place to work, Baird is one of FORTUNE’s “100 Best Companies to Work For” in 2018 — our fifteenth consecutive year on the list. Pension & Investment Magazine also recognized our asset management business as a top place to work in our size category over the each of the past five years, which is since the inception of the award. To learn more about Baird’s culture, click here.
If interested, please apply here.