Alumni Ventures Group is seeking an investing professional with ambition to further a career in venture capital who will serve as a Senior Associate in our Office of Investment, providing centralized deal sourcing support and facilitating investment processes for AVG’s 17 Fund teams across the country.
ABOUT ALUMNI VENTURES GROUP
Alumni Ventures Group is a fast-growing company with ~ 100 employees across the country dedicated to growing and engaging with an inclusive community of teammates, investors, and entrepreneurs disrupting the status quo in order to build a better future. AVG provides accredited investors with the smartest, simplest way to own a high-quality, actively-indexed venture portfolio. Today, we serve hundreds of startups, thousands of investors, and a community of over 500,000 stakeholders across the country. Our corporate headquarters in Manchester, NH provides support and resources to our fund teams in Boston, New York, Chicago, San Francisco, Menlo Park, and Austin.
ABOUT THIS ROLE
Today, AVG delivers a direct-to-client approach to the accredited individual investor. Our product is simple: actively indexed VC portfolios. These portfolios are diversified across stage, sector, geography, and primarily co-invested with top-quartile VC firms across the country. AVG’s Core Funds engage alumni of top colleges and universities to invest in these portfolios on an annual basis.
AVG’s Office of Investment provides a unique opportunity for the Senior Associate to develop invaluable experience in sourcing and performing diligence on a high-volume of deals diversified across stage, sector, and geography, while at the same time building a meaningful personal network in the venture and startup eco-system. You will receive lots of venture “reps”. Due to the public health crisis, AVG is currently in a flexible, remote work status. Upon return to in-office work, the Senior Associate will report to AVG’s Manchester, NH headquarters on a regular basis, with some flexibility to work out of or travel to other AVG offices. The Senior Associate position provides an opportunity for the right individual to develop and advance their career through the possibility of promotion to a Principal role with one of AVG’s fund teams.
Success for AVG’s Senior Associate in the Office of Investment will be demonstrated through the increased visibility and improved access to investment opportunities that meet AVG’s selection criteria, and ultimately, are investments considered and made by one of our 17 annual funds.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
In addition to salary:
Comprehensive Benefits and Wellness plan including Health, Dental, Vision
Paid parental leave
401K Retirement plan
Unlimited Time Off
Equity in AVG
SKILLS & COMPETENCIES
- Passionate and motivated to learn and participate in all things related to cutting-edge technology, entrepreneurship and innovation
- A self-starter who takes initiative and readily advances work
- Excellent presentation and relationship building skills
- Strong verbal communicator and an active listener
- Easily recognizes patterns and distills complex information to inform decision making
- Analytical and capable of using data to make compelling recommendations
- Driven, with a positive “can-do” attitude
- High AQ and adaptability to support success in a fast-paced industry and company
- Inherently organized and detail-oriented in approach to work
- A good team player who maintains excellent communication but can work independently with little direction or handholding
- A very strong bias towards process improvement and driving positive changes in process and approach
OUTCOMES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Under the direction of the Chief Investment Officer the Senior Associate will generate and manage qualified deal flow and introduce investment opportunities to AVG’s investment team members, as indicated by the following outcomes:
- Evaluation of roughly 25 companies per week, diversified across stage, sector and geography
- Deep dives conducted on 3-5 potential investment opportunities each month
- Source, evaluate, and contribute to the execution of approximately 25 deals per year by AVG or AVG’s fund teams
Responsibilities in achieving the above outcomes include, but are not limited to:
- Research and evaluate venture trends, and create filters to source promising investment opportunities in given technology sectors and industries
- Actively research and advocate for diversified deal opportunities
- Conduct outreach to VCs, entrepreneurs, incubators, and more to help fill our deal pipeline with investment prospects
- Develop and manage an active, relevant network of startup and Venture Capital contacts that contributes to the development of AVG deal flow
- Educate deal sources and companies/entrepreneurs about AVG’s processes and effectively manage relationships in a professional, courteous manner
- Monitor and ensure the timely and effective communication and engagement with members of the AVG network
- Support the development, documentation and implementation of processes that improve the number of potential deals considered and the number of qualified deal opportunities available to the investment teams
- Advance and manage regular reporting on sourcing activities and effectiveness
- Serve as a facilitator in managing the handoff of potential deal opportunities from Office of Investment to AVG’s investment teams
- Provide support to colleagues in AVG’s Office of Investment including AVG’s VP of Investment Operations including providing support for the development and facilitation of training of AVG’s unique processes, scorecard use, analytics, Investment Committee management, and additional support as requested
- Contribute positively to AVG’s culture and team, role modeling AVG values and working consistently toward its North Stars
The ideal candidate will satisfy all of the requirements below, and serious applicants will satisfy most requirements and have professional exposure to all below.
EDUCATION, LICENSES & CERTIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Mathematics, Finance, Economics or a related field
- 3-5 years of experience in investing or venture capital or highly relevant experience in financial services or startup industries
- Strong demonstrated interest in venture capital and/or entrepreneurship
- Experience sourcing and evaluating investment opportunities
If interested, please apply here.