If you want to achieve more in your mission of health care, you have to be really smart about the business of health care. Innovation, as well as financial discipline and accountability, count more today than ever. Which is why your performance and innovation will find a reception here like nowhere else as you help people live healthier lives and make the health system work better for everyone while doing your life’s best work.(sm)
The Venture Capital (LinkedIn, Crunchbase) Senior Business Analyst at Optum Ventures is an emerging leader that will work with entrepreneurs working with Optum Ventures to gain more than capital investment. You will help guide and support the development from a vast network of experts and relationships. You are a strategic thinker who applies broader concepts and historical context to today’s challenges as we invest in digital health companies that use data and insights to help improve consumers’ access to health care services and how care is delivered and paid for, and that make the health care system more reliable and easier to navigate. The Venture Capital Business Analyst is an integral member of the team, and a true self-starter, responsible for providing leadership with research, analysis, and diligence to support strategic direction and decision making rigor.
Position will work collaboratively with a team of executives, senior leaders, and analysts from across the business to:
- Build and manage relationships on behalf of Optum Ventures in the community, including participation at start-up events, accelerator events and entrepreneur focused meetings
- Research the health care venture capital landscape in the United States, and globally
- Prepare financial and economic analysis
- Identify pros, cons and other strategic considerations
- Structure collaboration with all segments of the UnitedHealth Group business, from strategic, financial legal, tax, accounting and economic standpoints
- Perform due diligence
- Monitor competitive landscape, actions and responses
- Advance specific value creating initiatives
Position will provide executive management with confidence that material strategic initiatives are rigorously assessed and appropriately structured to achieve acceptable financial returns and risk.
As a key member of our fast-paced team, this position would put you at the forefront of significant growth initiatives, providing extensive exposure to executive and senior leadership throughout our organization and an opportunity to transform health care.
- Organize and proactively manage the Optum Ventures relationships within the internal CRM system. Become subject matter expert at organizing external and internal relationships
- Conduct high-level research and assessments using publicly available resources such as research reports, SEC filings, industry information, etc.
- Develop financial models with appropriate underlying assumptions
- Perform specific financial and valuation analysis
- Analyze industry trends, competitive threats and expansion opportunities
- Work with UnitedHealth Group executives and senior business segment leadership to develop strategic rationale and initiatives to advance external growth
- Support large cross-functional teams working on complex growth-related strategic initiatives across UnitedHealth Group
- Participate in the planning, design, development and implementation of major business initiatives
- Act as subject matter expert for senior leaders across UnitedHealth Group related to our disciplined process to evaluate growth related opportunities
- Maintain effective communications with all levels of management that foster a collaborative atmosphere
- 1 or more years of experience within investment banking or venture capital or private equity and/or management consulting
- Strong understanding of the Venture Capital Ecosystem
- Solid understanding of Healthcare IT, including new technologies
- 1 or more years of client facing experience
- Based: Boston, MA or Menlo Park, CA
- BS/BA degree
- Self-starter with demonstrated creativity and initiative
- Exceptional problem solving with ability to work in a fast paced challenging environment
- Strong planning, organization, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Effective communications skills and proven team commitment
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with and build effective business partnerships at senior levels
- Intellectually curious with ability to learn and work within a self-starter environment
- Intermediate proficiency within Excel
- Strong market research skills
- High energy, detail oriented and creative individual
If interested, please apply here.