Our Financial Inclusion team at Omidyar Network (www.omidyar.com) pursues venture investments in innovative technologies that promote financial health and inclusion globally. We believe that when people can save, send and receive money safely, and have access to affordable credit and insurance services, they are better positioned to protect themselves from economic shocks, build assets, and invest in a better future. We leverage our capital principally through venture investments to scale innovative solutions. To expand our understanding and positively influence the global financial services ecosystem, we also selectively deploy grant dollars, with the aim of driving sector-level change. Our portfolio includes companies working across several geographies and subsectors. Recent activity includes investments in companies such as Chime, Propel, United Income, Kin, Hummingbird, and Aspiration, and policy / research grants for ecosystem development such as Center for Financial Services Innovation (CFSI) and FinRegLab, the first of its kind industry-led regulatory sandbox in the US.
We are seeking a Senior Investment Analyst to join our Financial Inclusion team based in Washington D.C., for a ~24-month analyst position focused on our US Financial Health portfolio.
The candidate will be primarily responsible for contributing to US pipeline development, reviewing prospective business plans, performing due diligence and competitive analysis, and supporting portfolio management. Such for-profit investments and select grants opportunities will be deployed to strengthen the financial health of US consumers.
The analyst program will also feature the opportunity to work on a small global investment team, and gain direct exposure to the early stage start-up and venture capital ecosystems. This individual’s responsibilities will include the following:
- Support due diligence and deal execution efforts for prospective investments and grants (e.g., assess business plans; conduct market scans and competitive analyses; build financial models; help to prepare investment memoranda);
- Facilitate portfolio management efforts (e.g., monitor performance of investees; prepare financial analyses for quarterly and year-end portfolio reviews; work with investees on strategic priorities to help them scale successfully and achieve their impact potential);
- Contribute to scoping out high-impact investment opportunities and building the U.S. financial health for-profit and grant pipeline;
- Conduct market research and keep current with industry trends and competitive landscape;
- Participate in developing investment strategies for the sector, and contribute to periodic reviews of the US Financial Health strategy;
- Engage on sector level and policy initiatives (e.g., track key public policy discussions and design and assist with managing policy-related investments);
- Collaborate internally to advance ON strategy and mission and support leadership of the Financial Inclusion initiative on a variety of projects and analysis, as necessary.
Education, Experience and Skills Requirements:
- 2+ years of business experience conducting company evaluation and financial analyses, ideally at a top tier investment bank, venture capital fund, asset management company, or management consulting firm;
- Strategic thinker with exceptional analytical, deal evaluation, and Excel modeling skills;
- Ability to evaluate proposed opportunities from multiple perspectives (strategic fit, expected impact, market opportunity, operational capability, business model, financial performance, valuation, etc.);
- Intellectual curiosity about and/or direct experience working in the financial services sector a plus;
- Interest in and exposure to public policy;
- Creative and independent self-starter, entrepreneurial spirit, and strong team player. Ability to work both independently and as part of a global team;
- Comfort with working in a highly collaborative environment;
- Prior demonstrated interest in / experience with social entrepreneurship and creating positive social impact.
Omidyar Network firmly believes that diversity and inclusion makes us more successful in our work, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law.
If interested, please apply here.