At American Family Insurance, we’re driven by our customers and employees. That’s why we provide more than just a job – we provide opportunity. Whether you’re already part of our team in search of a new challenge or new to our company and ready for what’s next, you’re in the right place. Every dream is a journey that starts with a single step. Start your journey right here. Join our team. Bring your dreams.
This position is responsible for identifying and analyzing strategic venture capital investment opportunities in alignment with American Family Insurance business goals and objectives. Gathers relevant industry information from multiple sources and conducts financial analysis. Assists in the development of actionable recommendations to senior executives.
- This position requires travel up to 50% of the time.
Specialized Knowledge and Skills Requirements
- Demonstrated experience providing customer-driven solutions, support or service
- Demonstrated experience developing presentations and communications for delivery to senior management.
- Demonstrated experience with complex financial analysis, financial modeling and valuation.
- Solid knowledge and understanding of corporate finance and capital markets.
- Solid knowledge and understanding of corporate governance.
- Solid knowledge and understanding of financial statements and management reporting
- Solid knowledge and understanding of forecasting techniques or statistical analysis or data modeling or data mining.
Additional Job Information:Firm DescriptionAmerican Family Ventures is a $200M venture capital team dedicated to emerging innovations in and around the insurance industry. Backed by American Family Insurance, a leading Property & Casualty insurer, American Family Ventures invests in seed and growth stage startups in a broad range of industries including Insurance, analytics, and Internet of Things.
- Assist in creation of sector investment plans
- Work in a strategic capacity with the firm’s portfolio companies
- Assist with internal initiatives and projects
Top Candidates Will Have This Background
- Currently employed at a Tier-1 strategy consulting firm, investment bank, or Startup (technical degree in EE, CS, or Materials Science highly regarded)
- Track record of academic and professional success
- Team player, detail oriented, and eventual references should be able to speak enthusiastically of a candidate’s ability to thrive within a team setting
- Passion for emerging technologies
Offer to selected candidate will be made contingent on the results of applicable background checks.Offer to selected candidate is contingent on signing a non-disclosure agreement for proprietary information, trade secrets, and inventions.Our policy restricts consideration of applicants needing employment sponsorship (visas) to specialty occupations. Sponsorship will not be considered for this position.Relocation assistance is available.
Venture Investment Research & Analysis (40%)
- Gathers relevant industry information from multiple sources, identifies new sources.
- Conduct research on specific areas of technology, valuation methodologies, exit multiples, and financial and operational benchmarks. Conducts primary and secondary research using identified sources.
- Organizes and presents actionable research findings to the venture team. Assists in the development of actionable recommendations for senior management.
- Continually identifies and reacts to changing findings in the marketplace.
- Conducts business analysis in support of the business development area.
- Perform investment due diligence.
Venture Capital Deal Support (30%)
- Support the venture team`s diligence activities as needed, including financial analysis.
- Serves as a central liaison to the external contacts seeking information from leadership or project statuses.
- Utilizes advanced modeling techniques to appropriately analyze the financial and growth impacts of various solutions. Use data mining techniques to obtain data for use in these analyses. Uses statistical techniques to find relationships within the data.
- Participate in company visits, formal pitches, and other activities as needed. Observes and gathers information as a participant in company visits, formal pitches, due-diligence meetings, etc.
- Manages venture capital database to source candidates for future business dealings.
- Provides recommendations and ideas of most efficient ways to manage flow of information to and among the venture investment and business development teams.
- Serves as a liaison to business areas within American Family Insurance seeking information and guidance on venture fund activities and/or interests.
- Acts as the first point of contact for early stage companies and provides potential business opportunities to business development leaders.
- Monitor early stage venture activity and support the team`s outbound sourcing activity.
- Oversees pilot work specific to business development opportunities.
- Identifies project risks and offers solutions to mitigate those risks.
If interested, please apply here.