This is a full-time role based in San Francisco. Apply here.
First Round is a venture capital firm laser-focused on helping seed stage companies win. We love meeting incredible entrepreneurs and rolling up our sleeves to help founders build their companies from day one. We have offices in Philadelphia, New York, and San Francisco.
We’re looking to add a Partner Operations Manager (think of it as a Chief of Staff role) to our team who will work directly with Partner Bill Trenchard as his trusted right-hand. At First Round, individuals in this role supercharge our investment team by creating and managing processes that deliver world-class services and experiences to entrepreneurs. This role will engage across all functions of the partnership at First Round, including making sure the trains run on time in collaboration with our administrative staff, partner branding and marketing, coordinating the diligence processes for new investment opportunities, and ongoing portfolio support. This role is a balance between project management and sharp execution.
- Managing and tracking new investment opportunities
- Supporting First Round community companies by connecting them to the right resources when they have questions or needs
- Managing and proactively activating relationships
- Communicating within the First Round community and partner networks
- Conducting research and investment diligence
- Initiating and leading special projects (building internal products and programs, research deep dives, etc.)
- Managing partner projects and events
- Overseeing scheduling and contact management performed by executive assistant
This position is not:
- An associate position nor a partner-track role. Instead, it is an ideal opportunity to immerse yourself in the tech industry and learn the art of company building from a community of skilled investors and operators.
- Focused on sourcing or directly entrepreneur-facing. Rather, you will work with Bill to help review, analyze, and prioritize existing deal flow.
- All glamorous. It involves a lot of behind-the-scenes work doing research, finding resources, managing projects, keeping track of things, following up, etc.
Who we’re looking for:
This is a unique opportunity through which individuals from many backgrounds can have a huge impact. Past “ops managers” have come from varied backgrounds including media, finance, start ups, and academia. Here are a few examples of profiles we think could be great:
- A generalist with a penchant for learning new things and a passion for tech
- A project manager who keeps the trains running on time with little oversight, using imagination and drive
- A person with strong organizational skills who relentlessly eliminates processes that aren’t working
We believe the strength of our team comes from diverse backgrounds and experiences. You might be a good fit if the following describes you:
- You’re fascinated by technology and how today’s entrepreneurs are shaping the future.
- You don’t necessarily need deep knowledge of the venture capital industry, but you should be excited about the field and eager to learn the business quickly.
- You’re laser focused on execution with the drive to get things done. You’re deeply organized and reliable above all else.
- You’re a great teammate with a low ego who is self motivating and takes initiative.
- You’re curious and intuitive — a creative and unconventional thinker, yet also highly analytical and logical.
- You’re a fantastic (and prolific) writer and pride yourself on thoughtful, eloquent communication. You know the right questions to ask, as well as when to listen and learn.
- You have the polish and presence to regularly interact with seasoned CEOs, founders and entrepreneurs.
If this sounds like you, and you have at least 2–4 years of working experience, we’d love to hear from you. At First Round, we value resourcefulness, diversity, team play, excellence, and hustle.