The University System of Maryland (USM) through the University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB) has a unique opportunity available for a Managing Director of the Maryland Momentum Fund (MMF). The MMF is an early stage investment program that invests in Maryland-based companies affiliated with any USM institution (www.umventures.org/about-us/initiatives/maryland-momentum-fund). The Managing Director, Maryland Momentum Fund is responsible for the overall task of defining and implementing strategy for the MMF to meet its dual objectives of investor returns and economic development. The position will participate in sourcing and vetting prospective companies for the MMF, and will play a lead role in investment analysis on individual candidate companies.
The Managing Director will report to the MMF Internal Advisory Committee consisting of leaders from UMB, University of Maryland, Baltimore County (UMBC); University of Maryland, College Park (UMCP); and University System of Maryland (USM). The position will reside within UMB as an integral part of UM Ventures (a joint technology commercialization initiative between UMB and University of Maryland College Park) and will be under the direct supervision of UMB’s Senior Vice President of Enterprise and Economic Development for administrative issues and day-to-day oversight.
UMB offers a generous benefits package that includes 22 vacation days, 14 floating and observed holidays, 15 sick days; comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; and tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any of the University System of Maryland schools.
- Implement and manage investment strategy to meet dual objectives of investor returns and economic development.
- Help accelerate the success of USM startup companies, expand economic development in the state of Maryland, and help facilitate the entrance of innovative USM students and faculty into the greater Maryland entrepreneurial community.
- Oversee the due diligence process and organize investment review panels including outside legal counsel. The investment due diligence process includes but is not limited to scientific, technical, clinical, regulatory, and financial evaluations.
- Support and collaborate with the internal and external advisory teams to develop investment themes, while also structuring and executing investments.
- Transparently identify and evaluate investment opportunities, and monitor investments.
- Strengthen connections with private angel investors, corporate investment groups, and venture capital funds, while also assisting UM Ventures in attracting serial entrepreneurs and obtaining funding for its portfolio pipeline companies.
- Manage interactions with the MMF Internal Advisory Board and the MMF External Investment Board to ensure maximum benefit to all MMF stakeholders and portfolio companies.
- Assist portfolio companies to access existing resources at USM institutions and the State of Maryland; and provide analysis of ongoing MMF performance.
- Participate in various external activities to promote the Maryland entrepreneurial community in general and the MMF in particular.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in a related discipline. Master’s degree, MBA or PhD in life sciences preferred.
Experience: Seven (7) years of progressively responsible business experience in leading and managing venture investments. Previous experience in a venture backed start-up, investment banking, or university technology transfer preferred.
Supervisory experience: Three (3) years of direct management including recruiting, training, and professional development of others.
Other: Financial disclosure required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Strong working knowledge of and connections to angel investor and venture community.
- Strong financial analysis and valuation skills; ability to interpret financial statements.
- Strategic and analytical thinking skills with an ability to solve problems and make decisions.
- Basic knowledge of intellectual property, technology transfer, and academic conflict of interest issues.
- Demonstrated knowledge of start-up or venture related.
- Demonstrated project/financial management and valuation skills.
- Ability to network and interact, as well as support effective partnerships with key groups and individuals.
- Ability to prioritize ongoing and new projects as well as conduct research and gather information.
- Strong verbal/written communication, presentation and interpersonal skills.
Hiring Range: Commensurate with education and experience.
If accommodations are needed, contact Staffing & Career Services at 410-706-2606, Monday – Friday, 8:30am – 4:30pm EST. Maryland Relay can be accessed by dialing 711 (in-state) or 1-800-735-2258.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Minorities, women, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
If interested, please apply here.