Focused on longer term returns and value creation (three to five year horizon), this leader will administer assigned pools of capital toward strategically identified internal and external healthcare related solutions provided by the business development innovations team along with other potential external sources.
- Identifies high growth, high margin health care related opportunities while balancing the risks associated with such opportunities.
- Manages the existing portfolio of spin-out companies and determines scale-up or cessation direction of approximately 50 companies in the portfolio
- Conducts due diligence to support of or rejection of investment opportunities specifically targeting a three to five year and significant financial return.
- Tracks both captured and missed opportunities for retrospective analysis.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Master of Business Administration or Master of Science in Finance or Accounting with a strong record of academic achievement.
- English, an additional language(s) considered
Complexity of Work:
- Exceptional interpersonal and relationship building skills required in order to initiate and develop productive working partnerships with all levels of management/leadership and staff.
- Ability to influence results, garner support and tactfully manage complex relationships and influences within and across the organization.
- Proven ability in forging collaborative and productive relationships with direct reports, peers, superiors and other internal/external stakeholders.
- Exceptional oral and written communication, persuasion, consulting, team building and negotiation skills required. The successful candidate must be able to clearly articulate and demonstrate commitment to high quality and patient safety, and the Mission, Vision, Values and leadership behaviors of Cleveland Clinic and to inspire active support of these in others.
- Requires critical thinking skills, decisive judgment, and the ability to work autonomously as well as the leading a group of senior director and director lead sub-teams effectively in a collaborative, shared leadership environment
- Excellent problem-solving and organizational skills with an ability to balance strategic focus with a strong orientation toward process improvement and innovation
- Must be able to work in a stressful environment and take appropriate action.
- Demonstrated customer service orientation, seeking to understand customer requirements and exercising judgment in meeting their expectations, particularly when there are differences of opinions on needs and services, unanticipated contingencies or a divergence of ideas/perspectives.
- Must be comfortable operating in a collaborative, shared leadership environment.
- Must possess a personal presence that is characterized by a sense of honesty, character, integrity, and caring.
- Must be a collaborative “team player,” with a demonstrated ability to share accountability and promote transparency.
- Must be able to travel domestically and internationally as appropriate and as needed.
- 15 years of professional experience in venture capital inclusive of 5 years of demonstrated management experience.
- Minimum of Experience in both domestic and international investment markets is preferred.
- A strong understanding of healthcare industry value chain and related business activities, including major trends/forces affecting the industry.
- Thorough knowledge in and understanding of trends in health care.
- Experience working both independently and collaboratively with teams and other senior executives.
- Experience identifying and developing new healthcare related solutions and coordinating resources internally.
- Experience as a collaborative “team player,” with a demonstrated ability to share accountability and promote transparency.
- Demonstrable experience in mergers & acquisitions, venture capital or private equity transactions (valuations, entry/exits) preferably in the healthcare and life sciences industry.
- Manual dexterity sufficient to operate office equipment.
- May require extended periods of sitting, standing and walking.
- Must be able to walk to attend meetings; must have normal or corrected vision to normal range.
- Ability to clearly communicate by phone and in person.
Personal Protective Equipment:
- Follows Standard Precautions using personal protective equipment as required.
Keywords: Intellectual property, IP, life sciences, start ups, investors, ventures, business development, capital investments.
If interested, please apply here.