The Massachusetts Clean Energy Center (MassCEC), as a quasi-public entity, plays a critical role in fostering the success of our state’s clean energy sector. MassCEC actively supports the Baker-Polito Administration’s commitment to addressing Massachusetts’ energy challenges, maintaining national leadership in clean energy, and meeting the requirements of the Global Warming Solutions Act.
MassCEC undertakes targeted programmatic initiatives to accelerate cost reductions in clean energy, help consumers diversify their energy choices and address evolving energy needs, leverage public and private funds to drive investment into this rapidly-growing sector, and scale-up renewable energy deployment across the state.
The Massachusetts Clean Energy Center’s (MassCEC) Investment Associate will work with the Investments team to accelerate the advancement of technology, job growth, and economic development in the Massachusetts Clean Energy Industry. The Investment Associate will report to the Senior Manager of Investments and will work alongside the Investments team to source, evaluate, research and manage early-stage and growth investments in the most promising clean energy companies in Massachusetts, and to assist with other related programs. This role is a great opportunity for a qualified candidate to learn or build a venture capital skillset while developing deep relationships across the Massachusetts clean energy sector.
- New Investments and Transaction Execution: Help our team identify promising clean energy companies and execute new investments to grow our portfolio.
- Help identify, track, analyze and evaluate new clean energy investment opportunities;
- Conduct investment due diligence, including business plan evaluation, general, financial, and technical due diligence;
- Prepare and participate in the delivery of investment recommendation presentations for senior management and the MassCEC Investments Committee and board;
- Assist with negotiating and closing investments.
- Investments Portfolio Management and Support: Work closely with all members of the Investments team as we engage with and provide support to companies that we’ve already invested in.
- Work with Managing Director of Investments and Senior Managers of Investments to assist with advising and managing investments in portfolio companies;
- Attend board meetings as a board observer;
- Respond to requests for support from portfolio companies.
- External Representation of MassCEC: Build a strong network across the clean energy space through proactive engagement with ecosystem partners and other stakeholders.
- Represent MassCEC at meetings, conferences and working sessions;
- Coordinate and conduct regular engagement with key ecosystem partners;
- Attend events in order to identify new investment opportunities and potential investment partners.
- Personnel Management: Help manage and mentor junior team staff.
- Serve as manager to the Investments Fellow, providing oversight, guidance, and training;
- Provide targeted support to Investment Analyst.
- Program Management: Provide targeted support to the Investment team’s grant and convertible instrument programs for early-stage companies.
- Lead the Investments team’s relationship with select programmatic grantees, ensuring contract requirements are fulfilled;
- Help manage, evaluate and review applications for MassCEC funding and supporting materials for the AccelerateMass program.
- Other Investments Team Process Management: Take a lead role in making our team operate efficiently and coordinating our work with other teams at MassCEC.
- Manage internal processes including the database of current investment opportunities;
- Assist with semi-annual portfolio valuation process, including valuation spreadsheet and valuation narrative;
- Assist in preparation of presentations and recommendations for investment to senior management, the Investments Committee and the Board of Directors.
- Respond to data and information requests from within the organization;
- Operate and maintain the award management system; and,
- Assist with administrative duties such as meeting notes, preparing agendas, writing briefs, preparing documents for CEO signature, scheduling meetings, and other tasks as directed by the Managing Director or Senior Managers of Investments.
- Minimum undergraduate university degree;
- MBA and/or other relevant graduate degree, preferred; and
- Background in engineering, science, business and/or environmental studies, preferred.
- 2 – 3 years relevant work experience; and
- Venture capital investment, investment banking, strategy consulting and/or corporate positions, with exposure to energy, power or clean energy industries and to startups and entrepreneurship, preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong qualitative and quantitative analytical skills;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Strong command of Excel, Word and PowerPoint;
- Demonstrated ability to obtain and review complex technical information and clearly articulate conclusions and associated recommendations;
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and manage multiple priorities effectively; and
- Interest in clean energy technology and a demonstrated aptitude to understand complex and new products, systems, innovations and business concepts as well as market opportunities and challenges.
If interested, please apply here.