Correlation Ventures, with over $330M assets under management, has pioneered the use of predictive analytics in the venture capital industry. The firm is investing out of its second fund, targeted at $170M, with $163M already closed. The firm leverages world-class analytics to offer entrepreneurs and other venture capitalists a dramatically better option when they are seeking additional capital to complete a financing round. The firm makes investment decisions in two weeks or less and offers reliability and transparency about reserves and its intentions to follow in future financings. The firm invests across all industry segments, U.S. geographies and investment stages — from seed through late stage. Currently, the firm manages a portfolio of over 120 companies and has co-invested with over 175 different venture capital firms, including virtually all of the VC industry’s top tier funds and many excellent smaller up-and-coming firms. The firm’s limited partners include leading endowments, foundations, pensions, family offices, and high-net-worth individuals, including over 30 venture capital peers who invested personally. The firm has offices in San Diego and Palo Alto, California.
- Existing network of relationships in the VC and/or entrepreneurial communities in New York City and the broader East Coast
- Excellent professional networking abilities
- Exceptional organizational skills, productivity and ability to juggle multiple projects
- Outstanding work ethic and “get it done” attitude
- Strong verbal and writing skills
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills and ability to communicate at all levels from CEO to individual contributor
- Strong attention to detail and insistence on accurate, high-quality deliverables
- Thrives in a start-up type environment, where each individual is critical and often asked to wear many hats
- Flexibility, gets along well with colleagues, customers, and business partners
- Highly comfortable and proficient with MS office applications (in particular Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Word)
- College degree – BA or BS degree from top college or university with demonstrated strong academic performance
- 2+ years of work experience in a high-performing professional work environment preferred
- Entrepreneurial operating experience and/or sales experience a plus
- Work with Managing Directors, other team members and advisors, and independently to source new investment opportunities. Channels for sourcing will include, but not be limited to, attending conferences, conducting email and other direct marketing campaigns to entrepreneurs, scheduling and fielding calls with prospect companies, and professional networking.
- Build, grow and maintain collaborative peer working relationships with peers at other venture capital firms.
- Vet investment opportunities to ensure they pass certain minimum criteria.
- Participate in evaluation of investment opportunities, including gathering due diligence materials, extracting data from business plans, term sheets, legal documents, etc. for the evaluation process and entering the data on prospects in the firm’s proprietary analytical framework.
- Prepare draft investment recommendation documents summarizing the investment thesis for and due diligence on an investment opportunity.
- Assist Managing Directors and team in virtually all aspects of the firm’s sourcing activities including:
- Designing and executing sourcing campaigns targeted at specific industry sectors or U.S. geographies;
- Identifying prospective investment opportunities by monitoring industry sources of deal flow and data (DowJones Venture Source, VentureWire, Primack Term Sheet, CrunchBase, etc.);
- Assisting with other marketing activities, such as industry analyses and public relations and social media marketing approaches;
- Enhancing the firm’s Customer Relationship Management (CRM) system including VC industry contacts and active and prospective company targets; and
- Brainstorming with other members of the sourcing team to identify and test new sourcing tactics.
- The candidate will be based in New York City and will report to and be mentored by one of the firm’s two co-founders/Managing Directors, an 18-year veteran of the VC industry, who is based in and manages the firm’s San Diego, CA office.
- The candidate will also attend conferences and events in the New York City and the East Coast VC ecosystems and also potentially on occasion, nationally. The job will also involve some travel to the firm’s offices in the Bay Area and San Diego. Certain events will require participation outside of regular working hours including evenings and weekends.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit a resume and letter of introduction for consideration to Margaret Roberts via firstname.lastname@example.org.