Yamaha Motor Ventures & Laboratory Silicon Valley (“YMVSV”) exists to accelerate the efforts of teams driving disruptive change. We have the resources and backing of Yamaha Motor Co., Ltd. (“YMC”), but we also have the openness and agility of a startup. We also manage the Yamaha Motor Exploratory Fund, a $100M dedicated fund that invests in exploratory areas such as Mobility and Aviation, Food and Agriculture, and Health and Wellness (the “Fund”).
The Associate / Senior Associate will conduct sourcing, due diligence and analysis of potential Fund investments and support the investment team in developing investment recommendations. The ideal candidate will help support the ongoing influx of potential investment opportunities, will represent YMVSV at various events in exploratory areas, venture and startup ecosystems, and will build a strong network to source potential investments and support portfolio companies. The Associate / Senior Associate must be able to work in a fast paced, team environment.
- Build strong relationships within the venture and startup ecosystems to source potential investments.
- Conduct investment research, financial analysis and modeling of potential investments.
- Develop in-depth assessment of business plans and investment proposals to determine business model viability, industry attractiveness and strategic fit.
- Participate in due diligence process with Partner.
- Develop investment recommendations and supporting documents.
- Develop an independent, value-added perspective on investment discussions.
- Build strong relationships with relevant business units throughout the Yamaha Motor group of companies.
- Communicate with senior leaders in potential investment companies.
- Support investment committee meetings, including the preparation of contact reports, investment memoranda, and supporting documentation.
- Represent YMVSV at venture, industry and startup events.
The ideal candidate should possess:
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in a science, business, or an engineering field from an accredited university. Will consider candidates with Masters or higher post-graduation education, including those with MBA or MS degrees.
- Interest and curiosity in emerging areas of technology or business.
- Ability to synthesize several, sometimes conflicting, viewpoints into informed opinions and recommendations.
- Prefer 2-5 years of experience working in venture capital, private equity or investment banking.
- Financial modeling skills including the ability to analyze company financials.
- Strong communication and writing skills.
- Possess and maintain a valid Driver’s License and a driving record from the state of your primary residence that meets YMVSV’s insurance standards.
- Able to pass a seven (7) year background check
Travel & Location
Position is based in Palo Alto, CA.
Some domestic and international travel of up to 30% may be expected or required, particularly to areas such as Japan and Europe.
Must be a local candidate. Relocation not available.
If interested, please apply here.