Are you passionate about how entrepreneurship can solve important problems in the world? Village Capital, a grant-supported 501(c)(3), is the largest organization in the world supporting seed-stage, impact-driven startups. Since 2009, we’ve supported more than 1,200 entrepreneurs by tailoring programs to their needs and connecting them with investors that match their vision.
Village Capital is seeking an Innovations Associate to contribute to our programmatic and investment support work, as we help other funders find, support, and invest in the best entrepreneurs solving real-world problems. Here’s what we’re looking for:
- You are a self-starter and an insatiable learner: You stay ahead of industry trends. You find yourself reading, thinking, and talking about entrepreneurship and early-stage investing. You will have a lot of freedom to shape this role but that will require a high level of energy and interest in the work.
- You’re interested in working with the next generation of entrepreneurs:You look at a startup and think of ways that it might succeed, why it might fail, and how you could plug in to provide support. You are particularly interested in how entrepreneurs can solve the most important problems of our day.
- You’re a team player: You see your role as part of something bigger. You are able to communicate transparently and confidently with colleagues and external stakeholders, and understand how your responsibilities roll up into the bigger picture.
- You are a natural connector:You will spend a lot of your time talking with entrepreneurs, entrepreneurial support organizations, and investors. One of your greatest value adds to entrepreneurs will be the people you can connect them with – investors, stakeholders, potential customers.
1. Project coordination and support
- Support Innovation project implementation, including: conducting research and analysis on market trends and programmatic pipeline; interviewing investors, customers, and industry experts; and synthesizing complex information into digestible insights;
- Manage the logistics of virtual or in-person events, including: communicating with attendees; event design and execution; and participant coordination;
- Act as a liaison for day-to-day programmatic and administrative support between Village Capital home office and relevant partners, including development organizations, foundations, corporations, investors, accelerators and entrepreneurs;
- Lead project-related administrative and organizational activities, including maintaining project files and deliverables calendar on shared drives and databases and developing project progress and financial reports;
- Work closely with other Innovations colleagues and other Village Capital teams – including the Global Ventures Americas and Global Ventures EMEAA teams – to support internal programmatic coordination
2. Business development and communications
- Research and scope new business opportunities in designated sectors and regions;
- Assist with the development and editing of new Innovations project proposals, in conjunction with the Finance and Partnerships teams;
- Represent Village Capital and Innovations team at external events
- Support other occasional business development tasks as needed, including maintaining updated information on leads and opportunities in Salesforce database;
- Assist with drafting and editing of articles, op-eds, blog posts and project-related reports in conjunction with the Communications team.
3. Team Support
- Provide general support to Innovations managers and director
- Additional responsibilities as deemed necessary.
- Bachelor’s degree
- At least three years of professional full-time experience
- Comfortable interacting with a wide variety of external stakeholders – including senior officials, management and leadership – in different countries and across time zones
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Proven ability to conduct high-quality research
- High degree of familiarity with Excel, including advanced formulas
- Ability to work both independently and as a team member, and take initiative with minimal guidance
- Close attention to detail
- Authorization to work in the US.
- Experience in relevant field, such as international development, impact investment, entrepreneurship, financial services, consulting, etc;
- At least six consecutive months of experience in an emerging or frontier market;
- Familiarity with Salesforce;
- Background in project management and reporting;
- Familiarity with research principles, including basic data analysis.
If interested, please apply here.