The Associate, Innovative Finance is a member of the Rockefeller Foundation’s Innovative Finance (IF) team. The IF team seeks innovative and scalable solutions to the world’s most pressing problems, specifically through mobilizing private investor capital towards the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) with an emphasis on the Foundation’s Program priorities in Power, Health, Food and Agriculture, and USA Equity and Economic Opportunity. We seek to maximize the power and potential of capital markets to deliver sustainable impact.
The IF team leverages both program-related investments (PRIs) and grants to align the Foundation’s strategic objectives towards market-driven solutions that catalyze significant capital flows into impact opportunities. The IF team is responsible both for executing its own investment strategy through the management of our Zero Gap Fund (ZGF), and for driving the investment activity of other Rockefeller Program teams, including advising on strategy, conducting diligence, structuring, executing and managing transactions. ZGF, IF’s proprietary fund focused on incubating innovative financial mechanisms, includes both Rockefeller and third-party capital.
The Associate’s responsibilities fall mainly within the following areas: (i) supporting the Foundation’s program-related investment (PRI) activity through sourcing, vetting, structuring and executing PRI transactions aligned with key Rockefeller Foundation priorities; (ii) collaborating with Rockefeller Program teams to devise, assess, and implement investment strategies; and (iii) monitoring and managing existing PRI investments (monitoring portfolio health, developing reporting for internal and external consumption, engaging with investees to accelerate growth, and working to improve internal operations and systems on an ongoing basis). The Associate will be expected to work across asset classes (direct investments and funds), sectors and geographies (including emerging markets). Additional responsibilities will likely include assessing and executing grants, and representing Rockefeller’s Innovative Finance work to the broader public (op-eds, blogs, speaking at conferences).
The Associate position is envisioned as a two to four-year position, with additional tenure or internal advancement dependent on performance and operational needs.
This position offers a rare opportunity to work on high-impact, cutting-edge ideas and offers strong opportunities for professional development in the fast-growing impact finance sector. The role will generate functional experience in capital markets and private investing, as well as experience in venture philanthropy, strategy development, and execution. The work will be fast-paced, often ambiguous, and spread across multiple and diverse projects simultaneously. The successful candidate will need to blend flexibility with disciplined execution in order to manage competing demands and deliver high quality work.
You are the right fit for this role if you have a passion for the intersection between finance and social impact, an entrepreneurial spirit, strategic mindset, and ability to work efficiently in a fast-moving environment. You also bring excellent interpersonal abilities complemented with strong skills of analysis, judgment, and practical sense to make things happen.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assisting with the sourcing, vetting, due diligence and execution of new Program Related Investment (PRI) transactions, which includes:
- Conducting due diligence on potential investment opportunities;
- Building financial models to determine value and optimal capital structure under various financing and operating scenarios;
- Identify and consult with technical experts to evaluate investment proposals and/or areas of potential intervention;
- Preparing materials for investment committee review and approval processes;
- Assisting in structuring and negotiating the financial and legal terms of new investments;
- Liaising with Rockefeller program teams on relevant investment opportunities;
- Conducting on-site diligence, both domestic and international.
- Advising Program teams on investment strategy, which includes:
- Building close relationships with Program teams;
- Partnering with Programs to set investment strategy;
- Conducting diligence, communicating feedback on potential Program-led PRIs;
- Monitoring and managing existing PRI investments, which includes:
- Tracking receipt of financial and social reporting, and payments from portfolio companies;
- Formatting and synthesizing financial information and other data received;
- Analyzing the performance of portfolio companies;
- Working closely with investees to identify potential ways to support their growth and success;
- Collaborating with IF Portfolio Manager to streamline processes and increase efficiency wherever possible.
- Preparing communications materials for the portfolio, including regular financial and impact performance reporting for both internal (investment committee) and external (key stakeholders and broader public) consumption.
- Identifying new trends and developments across the fields of innovative and impact finance, regularly presenting findings to inform the Foundation’s PRI activities.
- Representing the Foundation and Innovative Finance teams at external events and conferences, including in a speaking capacity.
- Building relationships with potential investees through conferences and targeted outreach.
- Supporting the management of interns and related temporary staff on an as needed basis.
- Other duties, including but not limited to:
- Helping to develop budgets and manage cash flows related to the PRI portfolio;
- Contributing to written narratives and analyses of RF work;
- Serving on various internal Foundation committees and / or task forces;
- Event coordination as needed.
Education, Experience and Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree; the ideal candidate will be seeking to attend a graduate school program (or similar opportunity) within four years of start.
- 2-4 years’ work experience preferably in either investment banking, investment management (private equity, venture capital or private credit) or strategy consulting.
- Strong analytical and transaction due diligence skills. Experience building quantitative and analytics models in Excel (deal experience preferred).
- Sound understanding of investment structuring and the analysis of legal terms (experience structuring transactions preferred).
- Entrepreneurial mindset to spot opportunities and initiate action.
- Strategic mindset to spot critical issues and recommend creative solutions.
- Knowledge of and broad curiosity about issues that the Foundation seeks to positively impact.
- Ability to multi-task; comfort with a changing work environment; proficient prioritization skills.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Interest in and sensitivity to working with and in diverse cultures; team-oriented approach.
- Willingness to travel occasionally, both domestically and internationally.
- Foreign languages a plus, but not necessary.
Qualifications and Competencies:
- Capacity for Investment and Financial Analysis: Strong due diligence experience and facility with multiple financial disciplines, including financial modeling, structuring and term sheet negotiation, risk analysis, and accounting. Sound investment judgement, solid understanding of development and international finance, macro-economics. Prior work experience in buy- or sell-side finance preferred.
- Decision-Making: Ability to efficiently evaluate risks and opportunities and make investment recommendations; strong analytical and problem-solving skills; takes initiative and drives for results; able to prioritize; proactive self-starter.
- Execution: Strong project management skills; meets deadlines; sense of urgency and responsibility; ability to multi-task and work under pressure; detail oriented.
- Communication and Teamwork: Excellent interpersonal abilities and communication skills; ability to present ideas cogently; team-oriented approach.
- Flexibility: Collaborative working style; comfort working with uncertainty and accelerating project development when needed.
- Social Impact Commitment: Strong commitment to assessing and investing to achieve social impact.
If interested, please apply here.