The Techstars Equitech program, run in partnership with UpSurge Baltimore, is a new accelerator focused on investing in startups through the Equitech lens – prioritizing leadership by underrepresented founders, diverse teams and solutions that aim to address systemic societal challenges.
Our partner, UpSurge Baltimore , was launched earlier this year to make the city a top-tier innovation hub over the next decade. Using the Equitech framework to carve a place in the national innovation conversation as the first-ever inclusive tech economy.
As a Venture Associate you will help support the first amazing class of Equitech startups, as they grow from early-stage to venture-backed companies. It’s a chance to broaden your network, get exposure to Techstars mentors and investors, and work alongside up and coming companies.
Historically, many associates end up being employed by one of the teams or by someone they meet during the span of the three months. Many also go on to build their own companies or go-on to support and invest in future companies. This is an incredibly unique experience to learn how a startup is built by founders and an opportunity to play an instrumental role in supporting their quest to scale.
This is a full time, remote position from November 2021 to mid-February 2022.
General Job Description
- Support companies with various projects, primarily including, but not limited to:
- Assist and support founders developing and building out their financial models
- Helping them separate out and validate key assumptions that drive the model
- Comfortable teaching them how to do this and being a resource (on modeling, Excel, etc.), rather than just doing it all for them – they need to own and deeply understand their own models
- Attend meetings and retrospectives with the program team
- Attend and share learnings from workshops / mentor meetings as requested
- Assist with accelerator focused projects as needed
- Coursework and experience creating financial models from scratch
- Excel whiz
- Ability to teach and support, not just do
- Demonstrate critical thinking and the ability to bring order to unstructured problems.
- Comfortable working through ambiguity and being flexible when projects/timelines change
- Ability to prioritize, organize and collaborate, especially on multiple projects with competing priorities
- Strong interest in the discourse around technology, startups, entrepreneurship, and venture capital
- Proven attention to detail through prior work or life experience
- High comfort with data and analytical thinking
- Excellent communication and people skills
- A positive outlook with lots of energy and enthusiasm
- Authorized to work as a contractor in the United States
- Naomi Lane – Becoming a Techstars Associate (for the second time)
- Vlad Romanov – My Experience as a Technical Associate at Techstars
- Dirk Lehmann – Techstars Associate Programme: The Better Startup MBA?
- Duc Luan Dam – Luan, do you ever sleep? (Being an Associate at Techstars part 1)
The Techstars worldwide network helps entrepreneurs succeed. Founded in 2006, Techstars began with three simple ideas—entrepreneurs create a better future for everyone, collaboration drives innovation, and great ideas can come from anywhere. Now we are on a mission to enable every person on the planet to contribute to, and benefit from, the success of entrepreneurs. In addition to operating accelerator programs and venture capital funds, we do this by connecting startups, investors, corporations, and cities to help build thriving startup communities. Techstars has invested in more than 2,200 companies that today have a combined market cap valuation of $29 Billion. http://www.techstars.com
If interested, please apply here.