Soma Capital is a fund built by founders, for founders. We invest in brilliant, fearless teams who push humanity forward! Our mission is to build the top software venture capital fund in the world to seed and double down on the next trillion dollar companies of our time. In 6 years since launch, we’ve now seeded 17 unicorns (often the very 1st institutional investment) and we’re just getting started! Our portfolio includes the likes of Cruise, Ramp, Deel, Rappi, Flutterwave, Lattice, Rippling, Embark Trucks, Astranis, Lambda School, Ironclad, Razorpay, Alto Pharmacy, Coda, and Human Interest among others.
Soma Capital is seeking to hire an Associate to help with both early and growth-stage investments (30/70 split) – managing the existing portfolio, evaluating new investments and identifying potential follow-on opportunities within the portfolio.
Title: Investment Associate
Location: San Francisco, CA
Start Date: Summer 2021
What You Will be Doing
- Identify investments: You will be responsible for generating deal flow and finding interesting companies to invest in – both from within our portfolio and from outside. You will also be expected to network with other industry professionals or entities that bring proprietary deal flow to the fund as well as proactively prospect for opportunities. While you will primarily be focused on growth-stage investments (Series B+), you will be expected to screen early-stage companies (seed) on an ad-hoc basis.
- Meet with founders: To support deal sourcing and evaluation, you will communicate directly with entrepreneurs and executives. You will need strong people skills and strong communication skills, and be able to network and build rapport quickly.
- Evaluate investments: You will evaluate investment opportunities, determine key thesis and concerns, leverage your network and firm resources to perform due diligence. To do this successfully, we expect you to be a logical & analytical thinker, to be able to learn quickly, and be able to assess key thesis and risks to ultimately build conviction and communicate those findings through investment memos.
- Portfolio management: Follow up with existing portfolio companies (opportunity to “own” as many as you can), learn the ins and outs of the businesses and serve as a thought partner and value-additive investor, helping with customer acquisition, talent and fundraising to name a few.
- Internal Operations: Maintain fund administration model and financials by owning all portfolio company valuations and markups; additionally, you will help with firm & infrastructure building (CRM, data room, etc.)
- LP Communications: Support with LP communications, including assistance with monthly LP reports and regular meetings updating them on portfolio company performance, plus any additional learnings or insights and what they should be excited about for the future of the portfolio.
- 2–3 years of experience, including but not limited to investment banking, management consulting, or private equity. Prior analytical experience is required
- Experience with detailed financial modeling including P&L, balance sheet and cash flow statements as well as quantitative market research (e.g. market sizing, valuation comps) required
- An outstanding record of professional and academic achievement
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills as well as creative problem-solving ability in unstructured environments
- Excellent attention to detail and follow through
- Motivated, hard-working team player, able to work effectively in a small team setting
- Genuine passion for technology and entrepreneurship
- Ability to balance multiple projects and work on tight deadlines
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with a) your resume b) your LinkedIn profile and c) two Series B+ companies we should invest in and why (~200 words) with subject line: “Investment Associate Application”. We’ll be in touch if there’s a fit!