Rev1 Ventures is an investor startup studio that combines capital and strategic services to help startups scale and corporates innovate. Based in the Midwest, and in the number one city for scaling startups, Rev1 Ventures connects entrepreneurs with corporate and research partners, helping entrepreneurs build great companies. Rev1 has over $100 million of capital under management and is among the most active seed investors in the U.S. according to PitchBook. Six core values drive all of Rev1’s work: Entrepreneur Focused, Ingrained Inclusion, Integrity, Collaboration, Persistent Curiosity, and Impact Driven.
We invest $10 million per year in high-growth start-ups in Central Ohio and beyond across a broad range of tech sectors, including Enterprise Software and Life Science. A significant percentage of our investment activity is focused on companies commercializing technologies developed at innovation partners The Ohio State University, Nationwide Children’s Hospital, and OhioHealth.
Reporting to the Executive Vice President, Investment Funds, the Investment Associate is a critical member of a team that analyzes, executes, and manages investments in concept, seed, and early-stage companies. The successful candidate is passionate about startups and comfortable working collaboratively across the organization to lead and close investments and remain deeply involved with companies post-investment.
What You’ll Do:
- Help to develop a world-class partnering proposition, building relationships with start-ups, venture funds, strategic investors, angel investors, and other key stakeholders to attract and support high- quality investment opportunities.
- Lead the execution of investment transactions in start-ups, including investment analysis, due diligence, valuation, cap table modeling, exit modeling, and investment structure analysis.
- Support virtual client advisory teams in managing the due diligence processes to evaluate technology, products, business, and financial plans; perform customer and market assessments, and model capital requirements.
- Support investment operations, including investor reporting and investor relations, capital call planning and execution, fair value analysis, fund budgeting, and reporting to investment fund members, including fund level quarterly and annual reporting and annual meetings; assist in winding down funds that have reached their end-of-fund-life.
- Monitor quarterly reporting on portfolio company performance and progress, including maintaining up-to-date records within Rev1’s CRM system, Salesforce.com. Play a role in tracking, following up, and inputting portfolio company information (e.g. financials, milestones, operating runway, etc.).
- May serve as Rev1’s Board representative or observer, ensuring delivery against targets.
What You’ll Bring
- Bachelor’s degree (business, finance, economics, sciences, engineering, or related field) and 3+ years’ experience in a private early stage investment firm, corporate venture capital, strategic investing, venture development, technology commercialization, corporate development, M&A, investment management, or investment banking. Advanced degree is preferred.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen, or hold a valid work visa that does not require sponsorship in order to legally work full-time in the United States.
- Excellent technical financial and analytical skills. Broad business and investment knowledge, and ability to understand and interpret financial statements.Solid command of Excel and practical experience with businesses’ financial / accounting functions. Experience in cap table modeling, capital structure waterfall modeling, and similar venture capital financial analysis strongly preferred.
- Strong project management skills; detail-oriented and able to manage competing priorities across a variety of tasks, timelines, and stakeholders. Strong work ethic.
- Excellent relationship management and communication skills. Comfortable working in cross- functional teams and able to collaborate with diverse professionals, including university researchers, entrepreneurs, venture capitalists, angel investors, strategic vendors, and across the Rev1 team. Ability to function effectively in a matrix management setting and deal with complex, ambiguous situations effectively.
- Highly professional with ability to tactfully engage internal and external stakeholders; excellent verbal, written, and presentation skills
- Strong business judgment, with ability to make well-reasoned recommendations regarding new investment opportunities. Ability to advance opportunities with intellectual honesty about risks and potential associated with companies and teams.
- Knowledge and expertise across information technology, life sciences, and other tech sectors a plus.
- Data management experience. Rev1 is a data-driven organization, and overall team success requires individual responsibility to identify, document, and report consistently and accurately on objectives and outcomes.
- Comfortable working within a diverse team: We believe that gender, racial, ethnic, and cultural diversity are key contributors to startup success, and we’re committed to fostering this within our own team as well.
- Passion for entrepreneurship, with a strong and demonstrated interest in early-stage companies, understanding the stress and concerns entrepreneurs face, as well as the art and timing of partnering and exit strategies.
- Interest in participating in programs/events that may occur on nights/weekends as an advocate of Rev1 Ventures.
- Ethical, with high integrity; trustworthy with confidential information. We ensure transparency and intellectual honesty are at the core of every interaction.
What’s in it for you?
- Competitive compensation package comprising base salary plus performance-based variable compensation
- Collaborative, flexible work environment at one of the Best Places to Work in Columbus
- Flexible paid time off policy
- 401(k) with matching
- Health, dental, vision benefits
- Schedule: Full-time
If interested, please apply here.