Portage Ventures is currently looking for an individual who is highly analytical and deeply passionate about fintech to join our team as an Associate to evaluate and execute late-stage investments in high-growth fintech companies.
Portage Ventures is the venture capital strategy of Sagard Holdings, a high-growth multi-strategy alternative investment platform with ~$14B of AUM across multiple strategies including venture, private equity, private credit, real estate.
The Associate will participate in all aspects of the investment process including tracking the investment pipeline, screening potential opportunities, developing deal-specific investment theses, researching industries and companies, building financial models, performing valuation analyses, and assisting in general due diligence activities. As part of a small and intimate team, the individual will have full participation in all Investment Committee meetings.
Candidates who succeed in the role take initiative and demonstrate both a tremendous work ethic and a high level of maturity. Excellent written and oral communication skills are also required. Compensation is competitive, consisting of a base salary and performance bonus. The role offers a potential promotion track to Senior Associate and then Principal for strong performers. You will also be joining a high-growth alternative investment platform with a proven track-record across multiple assetclasses and significant opportunity for mobility across the platform.
Open to candidate location – but ideally based in New York or Toronto
• Collaborate closely with senior partners, board members, advisors, and the team to source potential opportunities that meet our investment theses and criteria
• Conduct diligence on potential investments – including digging into market research, company
KPIs / metrics, financial statements, and team references
• Shepherd deals through our investment process, from investment committee postings to post-
investment portfolio management
• Support Portage and Sagard’s expansion into new adjacent asset classes in fintech
• Strong undergraduate academic record
• Minimum of 2-3 years of experience in private equity, growth equity, investment banking,
corporate development, or strategic finance roles in a high growth start-up
• Prior experience in transaction execution is highly desirable
Personal Qualifications and Skills:
• Self-starter with a high sense of urgency and the self-discipline to follow up on
projects/workstreams through completion
• Organized, strong attention to detail; ability to manage and prioritize multiple concurrent work
streams as part of larger transactions or strategic projects
• Sophisticated quantitative analysis and financial modeling skills; experience in building complex financial models (M&A, accretion/dilution, cost of capital etc.)
• Strong written and oral communication skills; ability to synthesize and articulate thoughts about
companies and markets concisely
• Professional presence to work collaboratively with C-level executives
• Self-confidence to share well-founded opinions while having the humility and openness to hearing others’ opinions
• Team player who prioritizes the team’s needs over personal success
• Willingness to travel as needed for sourcing and diligence of investment opportunities
About Portage Ventures:
Portage Ventures is an early-stage investor supporting the world’s most innovative financial technology companies. Its team has deep entrepreneurial and industry experience and provides its founders with full access to the firm’s partners, in-house experts, and broader global ecosystem. Portag3 is the venture capital strategy of Sagard Holdings, a multi-strategy alternative investment platform. Portag3 has a presence in Montreal, Toronto, New York, San Francisco, Paris and Southeast Asia. Sagard is a subsidiary of Power Corp, a family-controlled financial conglomerate listed on the TSX with over 30M customers and trillions of balance sheet assets.
You can learn more by visiting their website: http://www.portagevc.com
Portage is an equal opportunity employer, which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual. If you require accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact the People & Culture team to make your needs known in advance.
If interested, please apply here.