OMX Ventures (pronounced ‘omics’) is a new $150M venture capital fund that primarily invests in early stage life science tools and drug development companies that thrive at the intersection of data, engineering, and biology. The OMX managers have played early and important investor roles at several prominent bio companies of the last 10 years – 10X Genomics, Twist Biosciences, Compass Pathways, and Finch Therapeutics (to name a few) – and have created OMX to build and back the next wave of breakthroughs. OMX is a close-knit team of three partners (and one venture partner) who have worked together for 5-10 years. We are looking to grow our investment team – our first pivotal hire – with the addition of a principal or associate. We expect the new team-member to work on all aspects of our investment process – ideation, deal sourcing, research and due diligence, portfolio company support, and company formation. We also expect the new team-member to work directly with each partner, providing cross-firm exposure and impact. We currently work virtually in the San Francisco Bay Area, Boston, New York City, and Washington, DC metro areas. The ideal applicant will be physically located in either Boston or San Francisco Bay Area.Responsibilities for our new team member will include:
- Identifying new investment opportunities for the fund through deal flow review, networking, and conference attendance
- Analyzing emerging technology areas to identify new ideas of significant promise and novelty for company creation and/or new investments
- Joining us in conducting deep technical and business due diligence on startups
- Conducting detailed diligence of companies including interviews with KOLs, technical experts, potential and existing customers, and partners
- Preparing internal investment materials / memos
- Assisting the leadership teams at our startups wherever needed
- Working alongside OMX partners in architecting an effective organization and team.
We are committed to diversity and inclusion and we strongly encourage women and minority candidates to apply.
We are seeking a principal / associate with the following background:
- Advanced degree in life sciences (PhD or MD)
- Meaningful work experience in the biopharma or life science tools space including in venture capital investing, management consulting, and/or corporate business development or product development roles
- Robust combination of scientific, technical, and business skill
- Strong investigative instincts and the ability to separate fact from fiction
- Ability (and desire) to stay awake and attentive when reviewing detailed technical specs, research papers, and intellectual property
- Excellent communication skills in both written and verbal form
- Significant intellectual curiosity
- Strong ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Willingness to be flexible
- Natural networker
- Humility, decency, and high ethical standards
- Experience in helping startups to progress past their inevitable bumps in the road would be a big plus
For more information and to apply, please visit https://www.docjobs.com/jobs/principalassociate/.
This post will be available until January 24, 2021 or until filled.