Newark Venture Partners- Associate Job Description
Term: This opening is for an Early Stage Investment Associate. This is a 2 year, full-time position.
Location: Newark, NJ
The Fund: Newark Venture Partners
Newark Venture Partners is an early-stage (Pre-seed/Seed) fund that invests in the next wave of high-growth B2B software companies. Our investment strategy is thesis driven, and informed by the market insights we source from our strategic partners including Amazon, Audible.com, Prudential Financial, RWJ Barnabas Health, and Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of NJ among others. As a result, we’ve made investments spanning healthtech, supply chain, new media, martech, fintech and more.
NVP writes checks up to $2M in the early fundraising rounds of B2B technology companies from all across the country. Our diverse team leverages its collective knowledge and relationships to generate conviction around a thesis. Then, we pool our support around the best founders tackling unique market challenges. We are hands-on with our portfolio companies, with a strong focus on go-to-market strategy, creating a strong operational foundation and capital raising.
We fundamentally believe in the value that diversity brings to our team, our portfolio and, ultimately, our LPs. To date, more than 50% of our portfolio companies are led by either a founder of color or female founder.
Newark Venture Partners is looking for an Associate who is intellectually curious, an agile project manager and has a proven track record of bringing ideas to fruition. Primary responsibilities will be to support deal teams by identifying new investment opportunities through research-driven sourcing, researching markets and sector trends, conducting detailed business and financial due diligence and fund administration support. The associate will get full exposure to the investment process as well as the opportunity to learn from all partners and principals on the investment committee.
Basic Job Responsibilities:
- Develop market research and investment theses to guide sourcing efforts.
- Source new investment opportunities based on investment themes and research.
Deal screening and evaluation
- Evaluate and assess the viability of investment materials we receive from potential companies.
- Lead key pieces of diligence on investment opportunities and deal processes (e.g., competitive landscape, market sizing, financial/cap table modeling, reference calls, writing investment memos, etc.).
Building company value
- Engage with and deliver high-touch support to our portfolio companies across a number of operating areas
- Support non-investing administrative functions such as portfolio reporting, LP reporting and OKR tracking
- Support non-investing community building functions such as network development, community initiatives, and marketing efforts as needed
The ideal candidate has:
- 2-4 years of post undergraduate full-time relevant work experience (while VC, startup operating experience, management consulting, or PE/banking are common, we are open to other backgrounds).
- The ability to gather and synthesize vast amounts information, draw meaningful conclusions and convey them succinctly
- Strong interpersonal, communication and management skills
- Passion and curiosity about new technologies and emerging business models
- Enjoys working in a fluid, entrepreneurial environment where no two days look the same
The role offers a competitive compensation package, comprising a base salary and a performance bonus. Benefits include health insurance, unlimited PTO, 401(k) retirement plans, and work-from-home flexibility.
- Submit your application here no later than Friday, August 29th, 2021 to be considered for a phone screen (scheduled on a rolling basis)
- Final interviews will be conducted in-person in September
- We expect the process to be finished by mid-fall, and candidates should be available to start work soon thereafter.
In line with our fund ethos, no employee or applicant will face discrimination/harassment based on race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, gender, marital/domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status or veteran status.
We are excited to bring on a new team member to add new perspective, insights and value to the fund. In exchange, we are dedicated to creating opportunities that allow our colleagues to grow and succeed in the venture ecosystem and beyond. Any questions about this role or process can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks for your interest!