If you’re passionate about helping a Fortune 100 company drive their strategy forward through innovative product development and advancing strategic partnerships to protect customers (and their pets), then Nationwide’s Strategy and Corporate Development Office might be the place for you!
This role can be remote but will need to have the ability to commute into the Columbus OH offices on a routine basis.
CO residents: for compensation information please email TAProces@nationwide.com
Job Description SummaryAs a member of the Nationwide Ventures team, you will have the exciting opportunity to help build a portfolio of early-to-late stage companies shaping the future of insurance and financial services. Nationwide Ventures makes direct investments in startup companies and facilitates partnerships between startups and Nationwide’s business units to help protect and improve the financial security of Nationwide’s customers. You’ll work side-by-side with senior team members to source and diligence companies, execute transactions, manage projects, support partnership efforts between Nationwide and startups, and perform in-depth industry research. You’ll interact frequently with investors, founders and other partners in the startup ecosystem, building a strong network for sourcing deals and diligence, as well as building relationships inside of Nationwide to best understand our business partners’ and customers’ needs.
- Works as an integral member of Nationwide Ventures team in all aspects of venture capital investment process.
- Supports deal origination efforts; reviews and analyzes business plans; performs business, financial, and industry due diligence on transactions; researches industries and competitors; and documents findings.
- Builds financial and analytical models and conducts sensitivity analyses on prospect investments and portfolio companies.
- Designs and performs various project management duties and activation of operational initiatives related to partnerships and pilots with startup companies and Nationwide.
- Performs in-depth industry, technology, investment, and bench marking examinations and produces written research / analysis and recommendations utilized by Nationwide Ventures and internal partners to support and promote investment theses and strategy decisions. This includes: screening and underwriting memos, white papers, thesis area executive summaries, and marketing presentations.
- Works on team to develop Nationwide Ventures day-to-day operations, reporting, and ongoing run requirements.
- Supports operational activities including internal business partner management, internal and external marketing efforts, and participates in conferences and other external events to promote Nationwide Ventures in the entrepreneurial and venture capital ecosystem.
May perform other responsibilities as assigned.
Reporting Relationships: Reports to IP/SIP/Sr Director/AVP/VP, Venture Capital and Open Innovation.
Typical Skills and Experiences:
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Finance, Computer Science or related technical field preferred. Strong academic performance and demonstrated achievement
Experience: Ideally 2-5 years of prior experience in the entrepreneurial and/or the technology focused ecosystem, or 2-5 years of investment experience focused on equity with an interest or focus on technology. Strong analytical and modeling skills developed through real-world experience in a related role in venture capital, strategic consulting, investment banking, equity research or business or corporate development.
Knowledge, Abilities and Skills: Positive relationship building capacity. Ability to dynamically prioritize results as needed and in extremely constantly evolving environment. Highly analytical and detail oriented. Learning / growth focused personality.
General entrepreneurial strategy and technology related. General understanding of investment processes and valuation methodologies. Knowledge of financial services, banking, and insurance a strong differentiation. Strong financial, analytical, and quantitative skills and proficiency in spreadsheet modeling. Cross-disciplinary experience and interest in Marketing, Finance, Strategy, Accounting, Technology, and HR. Ability to learn new subject matter / industries quickly. Delivers high quality work product in line with all commitments that is supported by fact-based analysis. Experience building and maintaining relationships at all levels, including senior executives and market / industry professionals. Interest in early stage companies, growth equity, and impact investing. Ability to work on a team under tight timeframes in a fast paced and constantly evolving environment. Project management experience or exposure. Excellent communications.
Other criteria, including leadership skills, competencies and experiences may take precedence.
Staffing exceptions to the above must be approved by the hiring manager’s leader and HR Business Partner.
Values: Regularly and consistently demonstrates the Nationwide Values.
Overtime Eligibility: Exempt.
Working Conditions: Normal office environment. Occasional travel. Non-standard or extended work may be required based on project needs.
ADA: The above statements cover what are generally believed to be principal and essential functions of this job. Specific circumstances may allow or require some people assigned to the job to perform a somewhat different combination of duties.#investmentsNationwide utilizes a geographic-specific salary structure. For the salary range in Colorado, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If interested, please apply here.