Goodwater Capital is looking for an Associate to join our consumer tech investing team.
You Will Have The Opportunity To Impact The Entire Spectrum Of Our Investment Process, Including
Goodwater team members are passionate about empowering the next generation of great consumer tech entrepreneurs through our expanding investment platform.
Investment thesis development
Due diligence and primary research
Portfolio company support
What makes you a good fit for the Goodwater investment team:
You are passionate about consumer tech: We believe consumer technology is the single biggest driver of change on Earth, shaping global culture and transforming the global economy in unprecedented ways. Our team members thrive in the world of apps and internet services that impact the lives of millions of consumers. Your passion emanates in conversations with founders and is reflective of our mission.
You are service-oriented: Venture capital is fundamentally a service business and we exist to serve and support our portfolio companies.
You are entrepreneurial: Similar to our portfolio companies, Goodwater is a fast-growing venture firm and requires team members who are builders and like to get their hands dirty.
You love research: Investing is all about seeking the truth and you are self-motivated to find creative and structured methods to uncover insights that will drive our investment decisions.
You are truth-seeking: We embrace the mantra “strong opinions, loosely held.” Investors who thrive at Goodwater are comfortable pushing back against a (near) consensus decision, and celebrate when their own point-of-view is challenged. Data is likely your favorite currency.
You embrace investing as a team-sport: You don’t focus on who sources a deal, or who was the first to identify a trend. Instead, you use every opportunity to put your best foot forward as a team and are excited to pitch in whether it’s for a live deal, prep for a board meeting, or synthesizing findings for an LP.
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant experience, e.g.:
Job ResponsibilitiesAdditional InformationIt’s also worth noting that we encourage anyone to apply that may be interested, even if you feel you don’t meet 100% of the qualifications above. We acknowledge that we have overlooked or over-indexed on some of these requirements. So, please – apply!
- 2+ years of investment banking or strategy consulting (experience involving financial modeling and/or end-customer research).
- 1+ years at an investment firm, such as a venture capital or growth equity firm (significant experience developing investment theses, conducting due diligence, and executing deals); or
- 1+ years of operating experience (e.g. corporate development, strategic finance, business operations) at a consumer tech startup (experience providing financial support for key strategic decisions, analyzing metrics and delivering BI-driven insights, and working cross-functionally to execute growth initiatives).
- The Associate role on our team requires an especially rigorous analytical background. Applicants should be genuinely enthusiastic about analyzing quantitative and qualitative data, and must be extremely comfortable working in Excel.
- Very strong written and verbal communication skills. You regularly build strong relationships with company executives and can communicate equally well internally.
- A demonstrable passion and expertise in one or more consumer technology sectors (e.g. social, fintech, commerce, healthtech, edtech, proptech, etc.).
- Bachelor’s degree from a top-tier undergraduate program.
- Lead the end-to-end deal diligence process, including dataroom teardown, cohort / unit economics analysis, forecasting, consumer research, competitive/product benchmarking, etc.
- Seamlessly liaise with management teams to build relationships, pitch Goodwater, and coordinate diligence communications.
- Develop a deep understanding of at least 1-2 sectors.
- Track, monitor, and support Goodwater portfolio companies post-close.
- Draft investment memoranda.
- Must be legally authorized to work in the U.S.
- Timing: Immediate
- Location: Burlingame, CA
Goodwater is proud of our commitment to a set of core values — Integrity, Quality, Transparency, Humility, Service, and Justice. We place a premium on diversity of ideas and are excited to add new perspectives to our team.
About Goodwater Capital
The mission of Goodwater Capital is to empower exceptional entrepreneurs who are changing the world through consumer technology. Goodwater is founded on the belief that we are experiencing an explosion of new consumer-driven opportunities in communications, community, and commerce. We are excited to see great entrepreneurs pioneering powerful new platforms to serve consumers across a broad range of industries including food, housing, healthcare, transportation, education, financial services, and entertainment…just to name a few. Goodwater was founded in 2014 and manages over $2 billion across several venture capital funds. Our team has been honored to invest in and help build some of the most successful consumer tech companies in the world including Facebook, Twitter, Kakao, Chegg, Coupang, Weee!, Monzo, Zumper, Stash, Toss, musical.ly/TikTok, Spotify, Everlywell, IRL, and Getir. We apply that collective experience and understanding to build a growing portfolio of startups that will become the next generation of consumer platform companies.
If interested, please apply here.