ffVC is a seed-first, high touch venture capital firm that believes deeply in collaboration to help early stage companies build technology that will change the experiences of millions of people. Our office is based in New York.
We’re looking to add an Associate to our team who will work primarily with John Frankel, founding partner at ffVC, but also with other partners at the firm. The Associate will help our investment team by developing and managing processes to accelerate the growth of our founders. This role will extend across all functions, including reviewing new investment opportunities, special projects, portfolio engagement, communications, and includes some management of administrative responsibilities. It is a balance between critical thinking, creativity, and thorough execution. In total, it involves responsibilities and exposures to all aspects of a Partner’s professional life. The opportunity is broader than a traditional Associate role at a Venture Capital firm, and past holders of this role have gone on to senior positions at other firms as well as CXOs at startups.
The role will be in NYC, but we are open to candidates being remote until we work from the office later this year.
- Initiating and leading special projects (building internal products and programs, research deep dives)
- Qualifying, managing, and tracking new investment opportunities with an understanding of the Investing Partner’s goals and expertise.
- Conducting research and diligence on potential investments, and creating analysis for presentation to Partners.
- Keeping an ear to the ground on trends in our portfolio and our industries of focus.
- Managing and tracking communications and relationships within the firm, founder community, and partner networks.
- Managing partner projects, events, meetings and engagements, and accompanying logistics.
- Representing the Partnership at company meetings and other events, and reporting back on key information and insights.
- Overseeing scheduling and contact management in conjunction with the Partner’s EA.
- Other responsibilities that will come up that could add exceptional value for our founders.
These positions are not:
- Standard associate positions. The work, rather, includes fantastic opportunities to dive into the NYC tech ecosystem from the Partner’s perspective and learn what it takes to run a firm and support the growth of startups.
- Sourcing-focused. Instead, these positions are focused on helping our partners effectively examine and prioritize our current deal flow.
- All alluring. Partner’s work lives include everything from heavy time on emails to setting up travel for board meetings, managing calendars to tracking expenses. This role will ask you to spend a non-trivial amount of time doing the same. It takes a lot of logistical thinking, execution, and diving in on processes to make everything work overall.
Who we are seeking:
- A variety of backgrounds could set you up for this role, including having experience in media, startups, finance, and consulting. If it’s been fast-paced, and you’ve learned how to execute, that is what matters most.
- You might be a driven project manager with a laser-focus on execution, a generalist who cannot stop thinking about tech, or a future entrepreneur who wants to gain a deep insight on the other side of the table.
How you would describe yourself:
- You might not come from venture capital, but you have a passion to learn about the field and an eagerness to do so fast.
- You can get things done fast and with an eagle’s eye for execution – the details matter to you. You are completely reliable, and exceptionally organized.
- You believe deeply in teamwork, who can take initiative when you see opportunities to build value.
- You are a creative thinker that can deftly apply logic and analysis to make a case, asking the questions that are needed, listening and learning along the way.
- You intuitively know how to communicate across a variety of contexts – when the situation calls for concision and clarity, a reconciliation of information, or an assertion of judgment, whether it is with veteran founders, seasoned investors, or experienced CEO’s.
If this sounds like you, and you have 2 or more years of experience, apply here. We look forward to hearing from you.