Energy Foundry is an impact-driven venture capital fund that invests in and supports early-stage energy and clean technology businesses. Recognized as an industry-leading firm, our model is based on the thesis that building successful companies in this sector requires a unique approach – we couple our investments with integrated support tailored to the needs of energy businesses. From technology proving grounds to an expert network, advice on government funding to foundational partnerships for operational support, we support entrepreneurs to help deliver exceptional outcomes. By coupling the resources, advice and expertise that an early stage energy company needs to get through its critical path, we add value that goes beyond investment dollars. Our data-driven approach is the backbone for identifying unique technologies and making smart investments. We are looking for a dynamic pre-MBA Associate who will propel our organization forward.
The Associate plays a foundational role within the team, having two key focus areas. You will take the lead on sourcing and managing Energy Foundry’s robust deal pipeline (800+ annually), and the data systems that power our investment approach. This role also supports the core elements of our venture business, and includes early deal assessment, targeted outreach, relationship-building and trend analysis. You will work with our strategic partners to help them identify strong startups who would benefit from a close relationship and strategic support. If you are passionate about climate change solutions and consider yourself a “go-getter”, this role offers a unique opportunity to work in a dynamic environment and have an unparalleled, landscape view of cutting-edge energy and cleantech innovation.
CORE FOCUS & RESPONSIBILITIES
Deal Flow and Data Analysis
- Enhance our strong platform with new methods and opportunities for sourcing deal flow
- Review all investment opportunities and facilitate meetings to assess the best opportunities
- Manage and build upon Energy Foundry’s robust deal database and data platforms
- Conduct market research for data-driven insights about early-stage energy innovation and trends
- Build relationships with key stakeholders and ecosystem partners who support early-stage entrepreneurship such as incubators, accelerators and universities
- Outreach to promising entrepreneurs and companies that satisfy screening criteria
- Create alignment between select start-ups and corporate partners
- Identify and present market trends
- Participate in community events to drive brand recognition and deal flow
Venture Business Support
- Develop tools and seek opportunities to accelerate growth of portfolio companies
- Compile data to analyze portfolio performance
- Contribute to the total effectiveness of the organization through proactive problem-solving and by taking initiative, working as a positive, engaged team member
The successful candidate will be a highly motivated and multi-talented individual who is passionate about building the future we need by driving successful outcomes in early-stage energy and clean technology innovation. They also will have an entrepreneurial, problem-solver spirit. Candidates may be seeking to attend a top-tier MBA program within two years or develop a long-term path in venture capital.
The following criteria are strongly preferred:
- Undergraduate degree in physical science, engineering or similar scientific field
- At least 2-3 years of business experience in management consulting, relationship management, startup operations, market research, data analysis, database management, or other similar roles
- Natural “people skills”
- Strong intellectual curiosity for new technologies and innovations
- Structured, detail-oriented approach
- Demonstrated interest in the energy and cleantech industry, particularly within electrification, grid technologies and the environment
QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES
- Proactive leadership: you take ownership of all tasks and keep things moving forward with minimal direction
- Sophisticated technology user: you are proficient in web-based platforms and tech-savvy enough to vet and navigate new programs and applications
- Relationship-driven: you have great relationship management skills – networking, influencing, collaborating – and a proven ability to build trust with entrepreneurs and organizations
- Excellent communicator: you are professional and audience appropriate. You can effectively translate your great ideas to paper and digital formats and have strong presentation skills
- Scientific fluency: you build upon your scientific knowledge to evaluate technical information
- Strong analytical capabilities: you can easily source information to help build a thesis around companies / industries / competition
- Demonstrated ability to interact as part of a team: you value the perspectives and ideas of the team but can also work independently as needed
- Entrepreneurial spirit: You are a problem-solver with a passion for building new solutions
- A high standard of integrity: you maintain the highest degree of confidentiality
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
Must be an enthusiastic self-starter, capable of working in a fast-paced and open environment with limited direction, and capable of managing multiple projects with a meticulous attention to detail. Most importantly, must have a passion for startups, energy and cleantech innovation!
If interested, please apply here.