Energize Ventures invests in growth stage technology businesses that make energy and industry more affordable, reliable and secure. Based in Chicago, we partner with world-class entrepreneurs solving complex problems by providing capital and our unique operational and commercial support.
Become a part of the Energize Ventures team to deliver excellent returns and build the Fund’s reputation as the premier energy and industrial technology venture investor. We are a small team with an entrepreneurial spirit and this role requires flexibility, a diverse skill set, and an ability to perform at a high level on multiple fronts. We are looking for a driven, hard-working, insightful individual to help us with market deep dives, investment sprints, and other strategic initiatives.
The Associate reports to a Partner at Energize Ventures and will support the investment team in building the pipeline, due diligence and investment decisions. This is a full-time position, flexible for remote through COVID but long-term preferred location Chicago. Expected start date is Q4 2020 or Q1 2021.
Help us identify, select and win opportunities to invest in the best energy and industrial tech startups. Energize prefers to grow senior investment professionals from within the firm, and this role has the potential to be a “Partner-track” position.
- Evaluate and respond to a high volume of initial introductions, including holding initial screening conversations with ventures and evaluating those opportunities.
- Support due diligence process including meeting notes, references, product and technical due diligence, competitive landscape research, market sizing, financial evaluation and deal terms.
- Identify and track the most promising technologies and companies for potential investment.
- Provide regular updates to Energize limited partners on portfolio and firm progress.
- Support development of insight pieces, blog posts, speeches or presentations.
- Attend (virtually and in-person when applicable) conferences and events to build out Energize’s deal pipeline and broader network.
- Enthusiasm for emerging technology, entrepreneurs and startups.
- Self-motivated, highly productive and execution oriented.
- Fundamental grasp and respect for the broader energy, critical infrastructure and industrial markets.
- Desire and willingness to learn, give and take feedback, and challenge conventional thinking.
- Extraordinary written and verbal communication skills.
- Comfortable presenting and sharing various points of view on potential investments, including offering a contrary opinion.
- Demonstrated interest in tech trends and emerging businesses with a unique perspective on the energy and industrial verticals.
- Strong diligence skills and an ability to quickly evaluate key questions, risks or upsides of an opportunity.
- Strong financial analysis skills, including ability to digest a financial model, identify and judge key drivers or vulnerabilities.
- Sound business and personal judgment.
- Demonstrated interest in technology and its application in energy and heavy industry.
- A background in industrial operations, investment banking, consulting, startups, or venture investments would be a strong fit for this role.
- Minimum of 3 years of working experience.
- MBA or intent to pursue an MBA preferred.
Energize Ventures embraces diversity and equal opportunity. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and skills.
Interested and qualified candidates should reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to hearing from you!