Common Ocean is a VC firm backed by individuals who have a track record of building successful companies. Our LP’s are operators and c-level executives at technology-first companies with access to various resources to help turbo-charge our portfolio companies. Our broad investment mandate allows us to evaluate early-stage companies within the Fintech, Proptech, Consumer Tech, and Enterprise Software industries. This is a unique opportunity to work on a small team at a young fund with ambitious goals.
This is not a typical internship. Interns will have responsibilities and autonomy akin to that of a full-time associate. You will play an integral role in Common Ocean’s investment process and have opportunities to interact with the entire investment team.
This summer, you will
- Source and complete due diligence on potential investments
- Complete one or more sector-specific deep dives and help map out exciting investment opportunities
- Meet with entrepreneurs and evaluate their business plans and pitches
- Draft investment memoranda and manage other investment-related internal functions
- Work on projects for our portfolio companies
- In the process of getting or have a Master’s degree (MBA preferred)
- At least two years of full-time, post-undergrad work experience
- Have intellectual curiosity in startups and technology
- Domain experience or interest in emerging tech, enterprise software, marketplaces, and/or fintech
- Exceptional research skills, a strong understanding of finance and accounting
- Strong written and communication skills
- Be coachable and able to take direction while working autonomously
- Able to stay productive while working remotely or commute to our New York office pending return to work-from-office conditions
The internship timeline is flexible, but ideally, you are available for at least three months between May through September. This is a paid internship that reflects the candidate’s level of experience. To apply, send an email with your resume attached to this email dropbox (and CC firstname.lastname@example.org) and include in the body of the email a sector that you are excited about and why, and two early-stage companies in that sector that interest you and why. The deadline to apply is February 26th.