Investment professional will focus on early-stage investing in startups innovating in the retail and financial services industries. She/he will work closely with and as an integral part of our small and collaborative team of venture professionals (which will total 5 with this addition).
Primary responsibilities will include:
- Reading/reviewing business plans and pitch decks
- Assessing market/company attractiveness to help identify compelling businesses
- Involvement in all aspects of due diligence on new investments (business analysis, industry thesis, competitive landscape, business/pricing model, and financial modeling / deal structuring)
- Working in a strategic capacity with Commerce Ventures’ existing portfolio companies as needed
- Preparing market analyses and presentations to drive investment decisions and for engagement with the firm’s extensive network of corporate relationships
- Investment professional will participate in and be asked to contribute to weekly internal meetings in which new investments and portfolio companies are discussed
Candidates should have 2-5 years of total prior work experience including at a minimum either of:
- Two years of full-time work experience at a top-tier investment bank or strategy consulting firm, or
- Two years of full-time work experience at a venture capital or growth equity firm, or
- Two years of full-time work experience in a strategy or corporate development role at a major enterprise software, retail-tech or retail industry (including brands) company, or
- Two years of unique work experience that demonstrates the drive, skills and character required to be successful in a demanding, entrepreneurial and dynamic work environment.
Qualified candidates likely also meet the following criteria:
- Self-starter with superior work ethic and uncompromising personal integrity
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in an entrepreneurial environment with limited supervision (including proactively seeking guidance when needed)
- Passionate about personal development and career mentorship
- Wants to be part of a highly collaborative team, where we all strive to win together
- Excellent interpersonal and networking skills with an ability to develop and maintain effective business relationships
- Candidates must have modeling skills and a solid understanding of finance and accounting
- Undergraduate degree from a top-tier institution, and a demonstrated track record of both academic and professional success
Interest and experience in the retail industry – either directly as an employee or through transactions in the market is highly preferred, but not mandatory.
ABOUT COMMERCE VENTURES
Commerce Ventures is an early-stage venture capital firm focused on the Commerce Continuum. We invest in platform businesses which power the future of how consumers Shop (Retail / Commerce), Spend (Payments / Credit), Save (Banking / Investing) and Secure (Insurance) their financial lives. Our team has 60 years of combined venture capital, corporate strategy, deal-making and startup experience in our focus areas. The CV investor base is comprised of the most strategic individuals and corporations from the payments, financial services and commerce eco-system.
We deploy a thesis-driven approach to identifying and investing in the leaders within our sector focus. Our deep relationships with industry leaders generate proprietary deal flow, enable unique due diligence insights and provide value to our portfolio. We engage this network in a variety of unique ways including our annual invite-only Commerce Summit and the many delegations of senior executives we host from major retailers, payment processors, financial institutions and insurance carriers.
Our three funds combined represent more than $100 million in committed capital from strategic investors across the commerce and financial services markets. Fund I is a $16 million fund raised in 2013. Fund II is a $30 million fund raised in 2015. Fund III is a $65 million fund raised in 2018. Fundraising has begun for Fund IV which will be $120-$150 million.
To date, the firm has invested in over seventy technology startups, including category leaders, such as Bill.com (B2B Payments – BILL; $10B mkt cap), Forter (Fraud Prevention – unicorn), InAuth (Mobile Authentication), Marqeta (Issuing Payments – unicorn), MX (Digital Banking – unicorn), Snapsheet (Claims Automation), Socure (Identity Verification), Syte (Visual Search), Trove (reCommerce) and Narvar (E-commerce Fulfillment).
If you are interested in this role – please email Cassie at email@example.com.