Berkeley SkyDeck Fund is a privately held venture capital firm partnered with UC Berkeley to invest in early stage startups going through the SkyDeck Accelerator. This unique public-private partnership brings founders from all around the world to Berkeley to build world class startups, while sharing a substantial portion of it’s profit back to UC Berkeley. SkyDeck Fund is looking for a platform associate to join the team, roll their sleeves up, and hopefully have fun!
The Platform Associate/Analyst will work closely with the fund’s partners to ensure the fund is properly supporting its portfolio companies, to properly maintain accurate financials/updates of its 150+ startups, grow its network of collaborative investors (VC + Angels), engage deal flow partners, and throw great events.
This role will be interdisciplinary as the operations associate will help out with all aspects of the fund’s core mission – it will require quick thinking and an attention to detail in an environment where every day is different.
This role will primary cover 6 key areas:
- Deal Flow Partner Management: SkyDeck works with hundreds of the worlds top Universities, incubators/accelerators, and government agencies to help source top founders. The platform associate will help manage relationships with key stakeholders/partners to ensure we are being a strong partner and finding great founders.
- Investor Relationships: As an early stage investor, we are looking for somebody to help identify new later stage investors (VCs & Angels) that we don’t know, help engage our current community of investors, and run new tactics to improve relationships.
- Operations/Admin: SkyDeck has a long list of portfolio companies, financial positions, and relationships. This role will help properly manage our back office and key databases.
- Events: Key to SkyDeck Fund’s success are events (in-person & virtual) that bring together interesting founders, investors, advisors, scientists, operators, and more. The operations associate will ensure the success of these events from launch to turnout.
- Business Development: This person will actively identify key Berkeley alumni in industry and make connections between our teams and industry professionals.
- Special Projects: There is always more to do at SkyDeck Fund, with new initiatives and projects popping up every month. As you grow into this role, there will be plenty of opportunities to try new things that support the trajectory of the firm.
What’s cool about this role:
- Ownership: You get to join a small team (it’s only two of us now) in a high impact role with a lot of autonomy, freedom to explore, and ability to take ownership of your work
- Empowerment: We see a bright future ahead and believe this role can grow alongside the firm. There are always more interesting things to learn and new projects to work on. We want to empower you to be successful here.
- Network: You will get to work with very talented startup founders and help drive their success, all while building a great network.
- Impact: SkyDeck Fund is pioneering an entirely new way to fund public education, while helping out some truly amazing startups solving problems in healthcare, climate, the environment and more.
- 0-5 years of full-time work experience. If 0, then some internships. We are open to new grads. We are open to graduating MBAs as well.
- Genuine interest in startups/innovation
- Willingness to roll up your sleeves
- Proactive mentality to problem solving and desire to improve process
- Good writing skills
- Good public speaking skills
- Good with numbers/excel
Nice to haves:
- Went to a University of California of California campus or worked internationally
- Worked/interned at an early stage startup (<20 people)
- Has taken a computer science course or two.
- Technical background
Starting date would be around April-June. Alongside a full-time salary, we offer fully funded healthcare/dental, travel opportunities, and a 401K match. The role is based in the Bay Area/Berkeley, with flexibility for remote travel based off timing/what has to get done.