Alexandria Real Estate Equities, Inc. (NYSE:ARE), an S&P 500® urban office REIT, is the first and longest-tenured owner, operator, and developer uniquely focused on collaborative life science, technology and agtech campuses in AAA innovation cluster locations. Founded in 1994, Alexandria pioneered this niche and has since established a significant market presence in key locations, including Greater Boston, San Francisco, New York City, San Diego, Seattle, Maryland, and Research Triangle. Alexandria is known for its high-quality and diverse tenant base. The company has a longstanding and proven track record of developing Class A properties clustered in urban life science, technology, and agtech campuses that provide its innovative tenants with highly dynamic and collaborative environments that enhance their ability to successfully recruit and retain world-class talent and inspire productivity, efficiency, creativity, and success. For more information, please visit http://www.are.com .
Alexandria’s Science and Technology Team supports the company by providing scientific and technical expertise to help guide Alexandria’s three major activities: Venture Capital Investment, Real Estate, and Thought Leadership.
Alexandria’s Venture Investment arm acts as the strategic venture capital group within Alexandria Real Estate Equities and helps discover and invest in innovative companies in life sciences, agtech and tech, with associated responsibilities including due diligence and in-depth reviews of potential investments, their areas of focus and respective competitive landscapes, and the strength and level of innovation of their technology platforms.
Real Estate activities include underwriting potential life science, and tech tenants, as well as monitoring of existing tenants through review of financials, scientific milestones, news and press releases, and meetings with management.
Lastly, Thought Leadership activities include preparing for and organizing efforts around the Alexandria Summit, a high-impact event that brings together leading experts and opinion leaders in fields in life sciences, tech, and healthcare to discuss current progress and challenges.
We are seeking a Venture Associate – Science & Technology to support our Seattle operations by providing additional research capabilities and expertise in the life science and technology industries, as well as supporting due diligence and business development activities.
The Company is an equal opportunity employer and consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions, marital or registered domestic partner status, family-care status, veteran or military status, age, national origin or ancestry, disability, medical condition, genetic information, sexual orientation, or any category protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct in-depth research (qualitative and quantitative) relevant to various diseases and therapeutic areas, US healthcare and regulatory activities, and broader trends in the life science and technology industries.
- Research and analyze short and long-term drivers affecting the life science and technology industries and analyze various performance indicators relevant to the types of companies that impact Alexandria’s operations.
- Monitor and summarize relevant news and information coming out of major media sources, key industry conferences, company earnings calls, press releases SEC filings.
- Create summary briefs, white papers and/or detailed reports on specific companies, industry trends and various other topics to support Alexandria’s venture investment activities and thought leadership programs, which often may need to be catered to audiences with varying levels of life science or technology expertise.
- Support underwriting for prospective tenants and closely monitor existing tenant portfolio.
- Conduct research and analyze performance indicators for specific tenants and other companies of interest.
- Support Alexandria’s venture capital activity and related due diligence on potential early-stage investment opportunities.
- Responsibilities include 1×1 meetings with companies, ongoing evaluation of clinical/commercial status, fundraising efforts, business plans, etc.
- Create and maintain internal documents that track the broad life science and technology sectors.
- Business development and networking across the life science ecosystem.
- Collaborate with various functional groups across the Company, including Accounting, Finance, Leasing and Corporate Events teams on special projects.
- Prepare correspondence, background information, and/or event materials as needed.
- Experience working with large data sets/data analytics is a plus.
- Strong knowledge of capital markets and finance is a plus
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in a life science related field is required. Master’s or PhD a plus.
- Minimum 3-4 years’ prior work experience (or equivalent educational experience – eg PhD work) within the life science industry in translational research, clinical development or financial analysis capacity is preferred.
- Solid understanding of life science and technology concepts, including but not limited to chemistry and biology fundamentals, the drug development process, the US healthcare and regulatory landscape, and human disease.
- Strong research and analytical skills, and high attention to detail.
- Strong connections in the life science industry, Universities, Academic Medical Institutions and early stage companies particularly in the Seattle area is highly desirable.
- Ability to work independently and effectively manage and organize multiple projects concurrently.
- Must have excellent written communication skills with ability to create concise and impactful written reports, correspondence, and responses to requests from team members as well as executive level members within the Company.
- Communicate with co-workers, management, and others in a courteous and professional manner.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Limited travel may be required.
If interested, please apply here.