Activate is a growth-stage venture capital firm focused on the generational, digital transformation of the energy, transportation and industrial infrastructure sectors to create a more connected, intelligent, and sustainable 21st century economy. We invest in companies whose technologies are reshaping the traditional industrial economy into a digitized ecosystem of intelligent systems and ‘Smart Real Assets’. Core investment themes for Activate include Energy Transition, Smart Mobility & Logistics, and Industrial Intelligence & Automation. Founded in 2017 with offices in San Francisco and Philadelphia, and with backgrounds from pioneering firms such as TPG, Draper Fisher Jurvetson (DFJ), Silver Lake, Virgin Green Fund, EnerTech Capital and Element, the partners have worked together for over 20 years and have successfully raised and invested more than $1 billion of capital.
Investment Associate Opportunity
Activate is seeking two exceptional individuals to join the firm’s investment team in its San Francisco and Philadelphia offices. Associates will be integral members of the investment team and will work closely with all investment professionals in a flat organization defined by open collaboration and rigorous debate. Associates will gain experience across the entire investment lifecycle including evaluating companies, performing due diligence, developing investment theses, and executing transactions. The position offers a truly unique opportunity to join a growing firm executing against a once-in-a-generation investment opportunity with an experienced and purpose-driven team that values hard work, intellectual diversity, collaboration, and personal relationships.
- High IQ, self-starter with the ability to quickly understand and analyze new business models and form deep personal convictions on markets and companies
- Passion for technology and demonstrated knowledge of our core investment themes, including an understanding of how software and other digital technologies are transforming the industrial world
- Knowledge of capital markets including venture capital and private equity investing models; and proficiency in financial modeling and valuation analysis
- 2+ years of experience working at an investment bank or consulting firm, ideally with a focus on industries or technologies relevant to our Fund; or 3+ years of technical and/or operational experience within a technology company in our target sectors
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a dynamic, fast paced environment with multiple teams and functions and across multiple streams simultaneously
- Superior work ethic, innate curiosity, strong desire to learn, and uncompromising attention to detail
- Strong personal integrity
- Excellent analytical, research, and organizational skills
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills
- Exceptional academic track record
- Ability to travel as required
- Authorized to work in the US without sponsorship
- Meet with, evaluate and analyze companies and business models for potential investment
- Perform thorough due diligence processes, including (but not limited to) product, market, go-to-market, and financial analyses to support investment decision-making
- Drive rigorous valuation analysis to support investment decision-making
- Prepare market research and analysis on emerging sectors and themes of interest to the fund
- Engage with portfolio company CEOs and management teams to help create value for their businesses
- Develop presentation materials for the firm, investors, and portfolio companies
- Support fund operations activities including valuations and reporting to our LPs
If interested, please apply here.