The Investment Analyst is an integral part of a small team investing a substantial portion of Vanderbilt University’s endowment with a focus on public equities, hedge funds, commodities, bonds, private equity, venture capital, natural resources, and real estate opportunities. Our office consists of two investment teams: Public Markets and Private Markets. The public investment team invests globally primarily through active managers across public markets. The private investment team invests globally in private markets in addition to direct co-investments, but with a strong bias to U.S.-based investments.
This is a three-year program. After three years, analysts have numerous career avenues including graduate business school, buy-side investment firms such as hedge funds and private equity firms, or continuing their careers at an endowment or foundation. The program typically begins in June or July and concludes after Memorial Day during the third year. This position is geared for recent college graduates. We anticipate hiring a candidate that has demonstrated interest in investments or finance, has achieved an excellent academic record and has a strong work ethic.
The Vanderbilt University Office of Investments’ (OoI) mission is to protect and grow the university’s investment assets by delivering outstanding long-term investment returns for the benefit of research and scholarship. We do this by partnering with the best managers and ensuring their interests are aligned with ours. We believe superior investment opportunities rarely find us, and instead we seek them out.
Our office is comprised of approximately 25 staff members across three teams: operations, public investments, and private investments. We promote an atmosphere of inclusiveness, innovation, and learning, and we thrive on ways to improve our process, while protecting and growing the value of Vanderbilt’s assets. We are committed to supporting each other, upholding our team values, and continuously striving for excellence. The university benefits greatly from the dedicated people in OoI, and together we make up a world-class team.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist in researching and analyzing both existing and prospective investment opportunities.
- Prepare written and analytic materials that present and support investment recommendations and actions.
- Participate in meetings with existing and prospective investment managers.
- Monitor prospective and existing investments by analyzing data, research, and attending meetings with investment managers.
- Monitor, update, and create reports on investment performance, exposures, holdings, and other key portfolio analytics.
- Assist with and participate in regular reviews of the portfolio, including analysis of the portfolio’s performance and investment characteristics.
- Maintain database integrity, organization, and data content. Ensure timely updates of key data items in databases and investment monitoring systems.
- Maintain qualitative and quantitative manager information across databases for existing and prospective managers.
- Stay current on changes across capital markets.
- Provide support to team members on assorted projects.
- Conduct ad hoc projects (e.g., research on specific countries or sectors) as necessary.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree is necessary.
- Interest in pursuing the CFA designation is preferred.
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
IF interested, please apply here.