The Innovation Fund (working title) is a key initiative of the Alfred Landecker Foundation to pursue a safe digital space for all, where respect for the individual is cherished, enshrined in policy, practiced in speech and taught to future generations. The Fund serves as a catalyst for harnessing the power of tech innovation to stop online hate and extremism and to reduce bigotry in the German and European digital space. It seeks to promote diversity and anti-bias, prevent discrimination and violence, protect vulnerable groups and prompt civic engagement. The Fund will position ALF at the forefront of tech innovation in the realm of the above-mentioned topics, within the boundaries of the German tax code.
The Innovation Fund is led by the Managing Director, with the support of the Analyst (and possibly an intern). It will count with the support and advice of various team members within the Alfred Landecker Foundation.
This position is for 2 years, but may be extended if circumstances allow and at Alfred Landecker’s option.
The Analyst will identify and pursue technology opportunities to catalyze, accelerate, and scale innovations that advance the Fund’s mission to combat online hate and extremism in Germany / Europe initially and then more broadly around the world. This will be achieved through a combination of efforts including:
Sourcing & Analyzing
● Conducting market research to help identify technology trends and opportunities that can assist in combating online hate and extremism
● Supporting the sourcing efforts by attending events / conferences, networking with peers and leveraging online databases
● Building and maintaining a pipeline of technologies that match the Fund’s thesis and can accelerate Alfred Landecker’s work
● Supporting due diligence and preparing investment proposals
Initiatives / Project Management
● Executing the Fund’s strategic initiatives including, but not limited to: prize / pitch competitions, interactive knowledge hub, stakeholder engagement, etc.
● Leading conference planning and organization, including managing service providers
● Leading outreach workstreams and scheduling of meetings as needed
● Summarizing and documenting screening, partnership and other types of meetings
● Assisting with operational and impact reporting
● Producing ad hoc analyses, reports and documentation
● Finding creative ways of engaging with internal and external stakeholders
● Contributing to thought-leadership pieces, and assisting with communication efforts as needed
● Experience with market research and analysis in the technology / entrepreneurship sector, with an interest in the disinformation, online hate and extremism sectors
● Experience in project management and stakeholder engagement. Project evaluation / impact measurement a plus
● Superior interpersonal skills and proven capacity for relationship management
● Demonstrated team orientation with strong ability to drive projects autonomously as needed
● Demonstrated organizational, planning and communication skills (verbal, written and editorial)
● Strong German (mandatory) and English language skills. Other European languages welcome
● Strong knowledge of and connections with the German entrepreneurial ecosystem
● Strong alignment with the the Fund’s mission of fighting online hate and extremism
● 1-3 years of professional experience in technology / entrepreneurship
● Essential to have worked in innovation-oriented culture or in start-up setting
● BA/BS or equivalent experience essential
● Advanced degree preferred
The information in this job description indicates the general nature and level of work expected of employees in this classification. It is not designed to contain, or be interpreted as, a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, qualifications and objectives required of employees assigned to this job, nor is it to be interpreted as a contract for employment.
Salary and benefits are competitive and commensurate with experience.
If interested, please apply here.