Saudi Aramco Energy Ventures (SAEV) is established to manage the strategic corporate venture capital program of Saudi Aramco, the national oil company of Saudi Arabia and the world’s leading integrated energy and chemicals enterprise. SAEV’s mission is “to invest globally in start-up and high-growth companies with technologies of strategic importance to Saudi Aramco, to accelerate their development and their deployment in the Kingdom”. Established in 2012 with an investment capital allocation of $500MM, SAEV is a leading corporate venturing program globally and within the energy industry, and aims to be seen as a leading value-adding strategic investor in the global venture capital community. SAEV has executed over 30 investments to date, has co-invested with leading venture capital and corporate venture capital peers, has established a track record of financial returns and deployment of portfolio technologies, and has received recognition including CEO’s Excellence Award and inclusion in Global Corporate Venturing’s ‘Powerlist 100’.
SAEV’s investment team is responsible for identifying, executing and managing investments for the program, ensuring strategic relevance of technologies to Saudi Aramco and generating an attractive financial return on investment. SAEV is headquartered in Dhahran, Saudi Arabia, with two key regional investment teams located in North America and Europe, in proximity to global energy innovation and venture capital hubs. SAEV has adopted an activist investment strategy, commonly leading and structuring its investment transactions, and commonly taking board seat or board observer positions in its portfolio companies. The investment team also supports SAEV’s business development team in driving the adoption of technologies in Saudi Aramco. SAEV focuses on the investments in the following sectors; upstream and downstream oil & gas, chemicals renewable energy, energy efficiency and water technologies, including related areas such as materials, information technology or ‘IR4.0’ technologies applicable in Saudi Aramco’s global operations.
The Investment Analyst supports deal leads and investment managers in performing workstreams in investment cases and supporting portfolio management activity with guidance from senior staff. Supports administration of deal flow management and analysis of market and competitor activity.
- Source deal flow through conferences, trade press and desk research.
- Prioritize deal flow based on quality, fit, strategic value considerations and economic soundness.
- Maintain deal flow database.
- Support opportunity assessment and due diligence processes for corporate venture capital investments, with support from senior personnel , e.g. market, competitor and technology landscaping, IP landscaping, financial modelling, data room reviews, interviews with investee target management and personnel, reference calls, maintaining due diligence tracking.
- Assist in drafting of investment memoranda and presentations to SAEV Investment Committee.
Role- Portfolio Management
- Support deal leads in developing recommendations for follow-on investment and exit recommendations, and shareholder actions, through research and analysis.
- Assist in drafting of investment memoranda and presentations to SAEV Investment Committee for follow-on investments and exits.
Role- Reporting & Communication
- Support reporting of portfolio company performance to regional and HQ SAEV management via verbal and written communications.
- Ensure transaction documents are on file and maintained
- Bachelors Degree in engineering/science and/or management/finance disciplines from a reputable university.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Powerpoint & Excel.
- Ethics – Honest and trustworthy and a model of high integrity.
- Problem Solving – Analyze problems in a logical manner and recommend solutions, consider both the long- and short-term impact of proposed solutions and develop workable solutions.
- Technical and Commercial Acumen – capability to assimilate the commercial potential of new technologies and identify opportunities and risks, and assess investment opportunities. Developing knowledge of core concepts in competitive and market strategy, financial analysis, investment analysis, valuation and due diligence.
- Communication – Demonstrate strong oral and written communications skills. Challenge ideas and be able to recommend solutions.
- Teamwork – Promote achievement of team goals, motivate and support team members. Able to build and maintain relationships across cultures and geographies.
- Accountability – Take responsibility for actions. Deliver high quality work in a timely manner. Self-motivated and proactive.
- Minimum 1-3 years’ experience in venture capital, corporate venture capital, corporate development, consulting, investment banking, private equity, start-up leadership or related fields.
- Experience in venture capital or corporate venture capital preferred.
- Experience in energy or industrial sectors preferred.
- International experience desirable.
If interested, please apply here.