Reporting to the Managing Director, Investment Funds, the Analyst – Investment Funds is a critical member of a team that analyzes, executes, and manages investments in concept, seed, and early stage companies across several venture capital funds. The position will work across Rev1 Ventures’ investment funds including: Rev1 Fund I, State Auto Labs Fund I, Catalyst Fund II, OhioHealth Innovation Development Fund, and other additional funds that are in their harvest periods. A significant percentage of our investment activity is focused on companies commercializing technologies developed at innovation partners The Ohio State University, Nationwide Children’s Hospital, and OhioHealth. Rev1 Ventures invests across a broad range of technology sectors, including healthcare (digital health, healthcare IT, and life sciences), information technology, insurtech, fintech, advanced materials, agribusiness, and alternative energy.
What You’ll Do:
- Work on identifying companies in sectors of interest to Rev1 Ventures, researching, and outreach to such companies. Help Rev1 Ventures attract new, high quality investment opportunities through these efforts. Evaluate, appropriately document, and report on new investment opportunities to meet deal flow objectives. Participate on first calls with entrepreneurs and maintain investment pipelines across funds.
- Assist in Rev1 Ventures due diligence processes to evaluate technology, products, business, and financial plans; perform customer and market assessments, competitive analyses, and model capital requirements across the early stage company life cycle. Support project teams that counsel companies and help prepare various analyses, investment memoranda, and conduct research for comparable company/investment data.
- Work with the Rev1 Ventures team to monitor and track progress of investment projects by maintaining the investment process work plan. Assist in the completion of pre-investment committee checklist activities, investor presentation development, and critical review and risk assessment of prospective investments.
- Manage systems to track and organize due diligence files, investment documents, and portfolio company documents.
- Support Rev1 Ventures’ efforts to build relationships with venture funds, strategic investors, angel investors, and other key investment stakeholders.
- Help maintain and manage database of investment banking, venture capital and strategic partner contacts. Assist in outreach to these constituencies.
- Assist in monitoring portfolio company progress and maintain up-to-date records within Rev1’s CRM system, Salesforce.com. Play a role in tracking, following up, and inputting portfolio company information (e.g. financial information, milestones, operating runway, etc.).
- Assist Rev1 Ventures’ Market Intelligence and Data Analytics team in the maintenance and management of third-party databases (e.g. Pitchbook, Crunchbase, CB Insights), assisting in providing updates for Rev1 Ventures’ investment activities.
- Generate required internal approval forms and documentation necessary for investment related activities, including disbursements of funds, in accordance with Rev1 Ventures program policies and procedures, fund management agreements, and state grant and loan agreements.
- Assist in preparing fund level quarterly and annual reporting and annual meeting preparation for Rev1 Ventures various investment funds and capital call documentation preparation as needed.
- Works closely with Rev1 staff and executive management to function as an advocate for the mission, programs, and clients of Rev1.
What You Bring:
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in business, sciences, engineering, or a related field.
- Experience: 2 to 4 years of relevant private early stage investment and/or combination of venture development, technology commercialization, corporate development, M&A, and/or investment management experience.
- Analytical Know-How: Excellent technical financial and analytical skills. Broad business and investment knowledge, and can understand and interpret financial statements. Solid command of Excel and practical experience with businesses’ financial / accounting functions.
- Project Management: Detail-oriented; able to manage competing priorities across a variety of tasks, timelines, and stakeholders. Strong work ethic.
- Strong Communication: Highly professional at all times with excellent verbal, written, and presentation skills.
- Business Judgment: Ability to make well-reasoned conclusions and recommendations regarding new investment opportunities, and relative to specific transaction execution and portfolio management situations.
- Data Management: Rev1 is a data-driven organization, and overall team success requires individual responsibility to identify, document, and report consistently and accurately on objectives and outcomes.
- Team-Oriented: Comfortable working in cross-functional teams and able to collaborate with diverse professionals, including university researchers, entrepreneurs, venture capitalists, angel investors, strategic vendors, and the Rev1 marketing and venture acceleration teams and other staff. Ability to function effectively in a matrix management setting.
- Sector Knowledge: Industry knowledge and expertise across information technology, life sciences, and other technology sectors is a plus.
Who You Are:
- Comfortable on a Diverse Team: We believe that gender, racial, ethnic, and cultural diversity are key elements in startup success, and we foster this belief on our own team as well.
- Flexible and Collaborative: Willing to work with a variety of companies, partners, and projects. Able to deal with complex, ambiguous situations effectively. Must be able to participate in programs/events that may occur on nights/weekends as an advocate of Rev1 Ventures.
- Continuous Learning: We foster an encouraging environment that is always learning, always asking questions, and challenging assumptions.
- Self-Starter: Comfortable managing a process from start to production and delivery. Willing to self-educate in fields outside of personal experience.
- Entrepreneurial: Have a strong and demonstrated interest in early-stage companies, understanding the stress and concerns entrepreneurs face, as well as the art and timing of partnering and exit strategies.
- Positive and Polished: High level of professionalism, composure, confidence, and emotional maturity. Ability to interact effectively with executives, entrepreneurs, professional service providers, co-investors in a productive manner.
- Ethical: High integrity; trustworthy with confidential information. We ensure transparency and intellectual honesty are at the core of every interaction.
What’s in it for you?
- Collaborative work environment at one of the Best Places to Work in Columbus
- Access to exciting tech startups and trends in the national arena
- Competitive compensation package, including performance-based incentives
- Generous paid time off
- 401(k) matching
- Health, dental, and vision benefits
If interested, please apply here.