Genius Guild is a business creation platform that invests in market-based solutions that end racism. In terms of capital markets, investing in market-based innovations to end racism means applying an investment lens that actively addresses the ways in which capitalism and capitalist markets have been manipulated to limit, exclude, and defraud black communities.
The Greenhouse Fund is an early stage, pre-seed fund that invests in innovative, scalable market-based companies led by Black founders in three core areas: Restructuring the flow of capital in Black communities, Creating Healthy Environments, and using innovative ideas to foster belonging and connectivity. The fund will invest in approximately 10-15 companies per year (up to 50 for the life of the fund).
Position Overview: The Analyst will be an emerging investment professional who wishes to gain further work experience in early stage venture capital and startups. They will assist the team’s leader(s) in sourcing, leading, negotiating, and managing the firm’s investments. This position is an excellent stepping stone between the candidate’s undergraduate degree and graduate school, or as a stepping stone to a more senior role at another venture firm.
The Analyst will work under the supervision and guidance of the investment team’s more senior and more experienced members.
- Assisting with the management of all stages of pre-seed venture capital investments including product-specific diligence, market analysis, and conducting primary and secondary research, development of investment themes and theses, legal documentation, modeling, negotiation, investment committee presentations, and other relevant activities
- Assist in the creation of the infrastructure, process and strategy to ensure that startups and founders that Genius Guild wants to invest in are in line with the fund’s investment thesis and strategy
- Assist in monitoring the financial and operational progress, and relevant macro conditions and industry dynamics relevant to startups in the fund’s portfolio
- Assist in supporting existing portfolio company investments through ongoing analysis and review with other investment professionals in the firm
- Support the management and board of portfolio companies to execute growth and operational improvement strategies by taking on discrete tasks after consultation with other members of the investment team
- Develop an informed perspective of relevant sectors, including managing and building the GG Investments brand, and nurturing personal relationships with: VC firms, startup accelerators, founders, and other members of the venture ecosystem
- Between 1 and 3 years of work experience including experience at an early stage venture capital firm, at an accelerator, in a major corporate venture capital group, or in management consulting.
- A first degree from a well-regarded undergraduate program is a plus.
- Developing but strong analytical skills with ability to define issues, collect and analyze pertinent data, identify alternative solutions, project consequences of proposed actions, draw valid conclusions, propose sound recommendations, and implement approved solutions in support of specified goals; the ability to develop a “big picture” view while simultaneously maintaining attention to detail is critical
- Self-starter with demonstrated track record of achievement in fast paced, entrepreneurial work environment
The Analyst will be an individual who is highly self-motivated, dependable, and trustworthy. The position requires the ability to think independently and a passion for being part of the very beginning of building an investment management company from its inception. This person will have an opportunity to make a mark, and will contribute meaningfully in supporting the work that will go into defining the fund’s future investment theses and strategy. This person must be capable of independent work and team work depending on the context and requirements.
Suitable candidates will have demonstrable, and strong communication skills. The ideal candidate will demonstrate an ability to build and nurture relationships with a variety of constituents in the investment community.
The Analyst reports to the Principal on the team, but will also collaborate closely with other members of the investing team.
The Analyst will also perform other duties as deemed necessary in the execution of their responsibilities.
Compensation for this position is $65,000- $75,000/ Annual (depending on experience) with health, vision, dental benefits and 30 days paid time off.
If interested, please apply here.