BDMI is looking for a dedicated, resourceful VC Analyst to join our venture capital team in New York as part of our 2-year analyst program. The Analyst will focus on sourcing and evaluating new deals, supporting due diligence, working with our existing portfolio companies and analyzing new technologies. The ideal candidate is someone who is savvy about digital media/consumer internet/software and the startup community with excellent critical thinking, financial and analytical skills.
BDMI is one of the venture capital groups within Bertelsmann. Bertelsmann is a media, services and education company that operates in about 50 countries around the world. It includes the broadcaster RTL Group, the trade book publisher Penguin Random House, the magazine publisher Gruner + Jahr, the music company BMG, the service provider Arvato, the Bertelsmann Printing Group, the Bertelsmann Education Group and Bertelsmann Investments, an international network of funds. The company has around 130,000 employees and generated revenues of €17.3 billion in the 2020 financial year.
For this role, venture capital experience is a plus, but not required, since we will provide weekly sessions focused on deeper dives into various aspects of investing, diligence and analysis. This role is not partner-track, but our 2-year analyst program is designed to provide education and practical training in venture capital which should help prepare you for your next role at a startup company, media company or another VC firm.
We expect to be in the office at least 2 days per week beginning in the fall so living within commuting distance of Manhattan is required.
BDMI is a financially focused corporate venture capital fund investing in startups that provide innovative digital technologies, products, and distribution channels in North America, Europe, and Israel. We look for early stage opportunities where we can accelerate growth through BDMI’s financial and management resources and broad connectivity to various Bertelsmann divisions.
Role and Responsibilities
- Analysis of market and technology trends
- Research, identify, and source new deal flow
- Due diligence on new investments including market research, competitive analysis, and financial modeling
- Preparing presentations and investment memos
- Supporting/preparing documentation for financial reporting and external audits
- Consulting/supporting portfolio companies
- Assist the investment team as needed
Qualifications and Education Requirements*
- BA/BS/MS in Finance, Economics, Data Science, Engineering, Computer Science or Business preferred
- Relevant work experience (1-2 years), preferably from TMT investment banking.
- Familiar with the Internet and digital media ecosystems as businesses and evolving platforms, either from work experience or personal interest
- Passionate about technology and digital innovation
- Strong finance and financial modeling skills
- Motivated self-starter with ability to work well in an unstructured environment
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work well in a small team
- Strong critical thinking and analytical skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
*Please note, applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
If interested, please apply here.