Munich Re Ventures (MRV) is the venture capital group of Munich Re, the world’s largest reinsurance company, and a leading global provider of primary insurance and insurance-related risk solutions. MRV is a $1B+ platform that is financially driven, while focused on the strategic interests of Munich Re and the broader insurance industry. MRV’s experienced investors work closely with Munich Re Group businesses across the globe to fund and partner with the best emerging companies that are developing new technologies and business models – and risks – for tomorrow’s world. The funds cover a broad set of sectors including: InsurTech, Cybersecurity & Privacy, ClimateTech, Industrial & Equipment Technologies, and the Future of Transportation.
MRV Website: https://www.munichreventures.com/
The Role: Portfolio Development Senior Manager
Portfolio Development is focused on several areas: Strategy, Partnership/Business Development, Portfolio Company Development, and continuing to build out the MRV platform with key industry relationships and other value adds . The Portfolio Development Senior Manager will:
- Serve as the Portfolio Development Lead for the ClimateTech sector, and be willing to build expertise in one or more others
- Develop strategic theses at the portfolio and individual investment level
- Collaborate with portfolio companies to understand and translate their business and product strategy into successful partnerships with Munich Re
- Oversee and support partnership structuring & negotiation between startups and Munich Re business units
- Work with Munich Re business units and portfolio companies to develop business and project plans. Monitor execution and support conflict resolution efforts
- Collaborate with other portfolio development and investment team members to build out new value add capabilities (e.g., industry groups, hiring / executive search)
- Develop industry connections for MRV and support portfolio companies by connecting them to those industry connections
- Direct junior portfolio development team members on projects when appropriate
The Person: Successful Candidate
The successful candidate will need to have the relevant foundation and industry network to develop their own process and drive their own work and lead others without step by step instructions. Additional specific skills include the following:
- Experience with strategic partnering (e.g., business development, corporate development) and negotiations
- Knowledge of partnering types and structures (e.g., Technology Licensing, Service Level Agreements)
- Exposure to working with venture-backed technology companies
- Experience with performing partner assessments, particularly in emerging markets, early stage companies, or areas where there is unclear or missing information
- Experience working within ClimateTech, GreenTech, or Power & Utilities industry
- Demonstrated business modeling expertise across a variety of methods, business types, and desired outcomes
- Disciplined execution capability with demonstrated ability to develop workplans and facilitate execution across a small team, as well as the determination to find creative solutions in the face of challenges or “no.”
- Ability to be self-sufficient, resonating out logical approaches to solve without step by step instructions
QualificationsRequirements and Qualifications:
- 4-8 years of experience, including 3 years in strategic partnerships, corporate development, business development, or equivalent
- Superior oral, written and visual communication skills
- Superior Microsoft PowerPoint and Excel Skills
- Superior proactive networking and relationship development skills
- Proven teamwork skills both as a leader and cross-functional team member
- Self-motivated with high initiative
- Willing to travel 25% of the time including internationally
At The Hartford Steam Boiler, a subsidiary of Munich Re, we see Diversity and Inclusion as a solution to the challenges and opportunities all around us. Our goal is to foster an inclusive culture and build a workforce that reflects the customers we serve and the communities in which we live and work. We strive to provide a workplace where all of our colleagues feel respected, valued and empowered to achieve their very best every day. We recruit and develop talent with a focus on providing our customers the most innovative products and services.
We are an equal opportunity employer. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Additional InformationWe are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
The work environment characteristics, and any physical and mental requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
If interested, please apply here.