Are you looking for a patient-focused, innovation-driven company that will inspire you and empower you to shine? Join us as a Sr. Investment Director in our Cambridge, MA office.
At Takeda, we are transforming the pharmaceutical industry through our R&D-driven market leadership and being a values-led company. To do this, we empower our people to realize their potential through life-changing work. Certified as a Global Top Employer, we offer stimulating careers, encourage innovation, and strive for excellence in everything we do. We foster an inclusive, collaborative workplace, in which our global teams are united by an unwavering commitment to deliver Better Health and a Brighter Future to people around the world.
Here, you will be a vital contributor to our inspiring, bold mission
- Support the President in executing the Mission and Objectives of Takeda Ventures (TVI), serving as an ambassador for TVI with all key stakeholders internally and externally
- Deputize for the President in his absence, assuming responsibility for all aspects of the day-to-day business operations and management of TVI, and conducting third party business transactions as specified and authorized by the President.
- Contribute significantly to the growth and success of TVI by continually building and nurturing external relationships that result ultimately in high quality strategic investment transactions
- Ensure strategic alignment of TVI activities through continual engagement with internal stakeholders and management of interactions with TVI portfolio companies, enabling the most effective transfer of strategic assets / value Takeda
- Maintain highest levels of awareness with regard to trends in global healthcare, and serve as a key cross-functional contributor to the development and execution of the medium- and long-range strategic objectives of TVI
Encourage and influence consideration and implementation of novel investment structures that result in a differentiated approach to engagement with government, academic and venture financing communities, and provide Takeda with competitive advantage in this space
Seek opportunities to expand TVI networks with the life science venture finance groups, academic technology transfer offices, federal and local Government initiatives, biopharmaceutical and biotechnology companies, including development of new geographic areas of operation
Serve as mentor to the Investment Director and, where appropriate, the Investment Associate / Intern
Seek opportunities to capitalize on synergies within TVI, and across Takeda external search & evaluate functions that specifically promote TVI as a highly differentiated strategically-focused corporate venture function
Serve as an observer on the Board of TVI Portfolio companies.
Understand near- and long-range strategic goals of the company, maintain awareness of resources and capabilities, and ensure that Takeda rights as stakeholders are adequately protected.
Drive interactions that position Takeda as a preferred potential partner.
Support the long-, medium- and short-term imperatives of Takeda by participating in forums that consider the impact on global healthcare of regulatory reform, disruptive science and technologies and potentially convergent industry activities
When required, provide expert support to assist other TPC external search and evaluate functions and global business development and licensing groups with third party negotiations
Education, Experience And Skills
- MD or PhD in a related field (biochemistry, pharmacology, molecular biology, etc.).
Minimum of 15 years experience in the Venture Capital or Biopharmaceutical industry, with a proven track record in Research, Business Development or venture investing.
A highly professional individual with ambition and an entrepreneurial mind
A strong team player, with a clear awareness of knowing when to lead and when to simply participate as a key team member
Some combination of acknowledged relationships with venture investment institutions, biopharmaceutical and biotechnology companies and high caliber academic institutions.
Extensive exposure to research at the University level with a broad level of exposure to multiple disciplines.
Understands the competitive landscape in private and public sector lifesciences industries, and is knowledgeable enough to anticipate new trends and developments in healthcare generally, pharmaceutical R&D specifically
Experience in negotiating and managing third party collaboration, licensing and development contracts.
Has a good understanding of the laws and regulations affecting venture investments at the state, federal and international level.
Business acumen- has a thorough understanding of, and can champion, the highest standards of good business practice.
Problem solving and decision-making – demonstrates sound judgment and creativity to deal with complex issues and decisions.
Ability to explore positions and alternatives to reach beneficial outcomes for all parties involved
Analytical skills – ability to analyze a wide variety of data including research methodology, outcomes studies, business plans, research data, financial figures and market data to make sound business decisions and recommendations
Communication – ability to communicate ideas and data both verbally and in writing in a persuasive and appropriate manner, with deference to cross-cultural communications.
Management – ability to establish priorities and monitor research progress of the investment companies.
Leads others to work together.
Rewards and recognizes desired performance.
Provides leadership, coaching, representation and support.
Interpersonal – ability to work effectively and get along with others with diverse backgrounds.
Team building- ability to work collaboratively in a team and encourage teamwork.
Relationship Building Skills – ability to develop and maintain strategic relationships with key stakeholders and build trust with others to increase Takeda’s competitive advantage.
Willingness to drive to or fly to clients meetings, sometimes involving trips lasting several days. Significant international travel will be required possibly amounting to more than 20% of total time
Reports to the President & CEO, Takeda Ventures
What Takeda Can Offer You
- 401(k) with company match and Annual Retirement Contribution Plan
- Tuition reimbursement Company match of charitable contributions
- Health & Wellness programs including onsite flu shots and health screenings
- Generous time off for vacation and the option to purchase additional vacation days
- Community Outreach Programs
If interested, please apply here.