The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation (CF Foundation) and its employees embrace their commitment to its core values. These core values are the pillars on which the CF Foundation stand and will continue to sustain us as we move forward.
- Keep sight of what really matters: Our decisions are based on what is best for people with cystic fibrosis and their families.
- Aspire for excellence in all we do: We take pride in our work. We are committed to continuous learning and improvement.
- Stronger together: We collaborate and work together so that we can learn more and achieve more.
- Innovate with courage: We embrace challenges. We reach beyond boundaries in pursuit of our vision.
- Care about our people: We deeply care about each other and all who support our shared mission. We listen with respect. We support one another.
The mission of the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation (CF Foundation) is to cure cystic fibrosis (CF) and to provide all people with the disease the opportunity to lead full, productive lives by funding research and drug development, promoting individualized treatment, and ensuring access to high-quality, specialized care. A nonprofit, donor-supported organization, the CF Foundation is the world’s leader in the search for a cure for CF, a life-threatening genetic disease that primarily affects the lungs and digestive system. Established in 1955 by parents and families of people with CF, the CF Foundation supports a nationwide network of 114 care centers and best-in class research centers, as well as 70 local offices that strive to fund and support the mission. The CF Foundation is widely recognized for pioneering the venture philanthropy model – leveraging its scientific and clinical expertise to fund ground-breaking research with biotechnology and pharmaceutical companies as well as academic medical centers, in its pursuit of novel treatments and a cure for CF. As a result of this approach, the CF Foundation has been involved in the development of nearly every CF-specific medication and in late-2014, it successfully monetized royalties on several drugs that treat the underlying cause of CF. The proceeds from this monetization and subsequent capital gains have contributed to an investable portfolio of approximately $4 billion, which is being invested solely to advance the CF Foundation’s mission.
The CF Foundation is currently recruiting a Director of Investments to help advance the CF Foundation’s mission-related investments. The Director will be responsible for sourcing, negotiating and executing a range of transactions involving companies, products and technologies that are aligned with the CF Foundation’s strategic priorities. This is a crucial role and this individual will be part of a highly collaborative and purpose-driven culture.
Essential Duties And Responsibilities
The Director of Investments will have a key role in advancing the mission of the CF Foundation. Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Transaction Responsibilities Include
- Analyzing and proposing deal structures and financing options for transactions involving companies, products and technologies by using financial models, relevant comparables, and other tools and information, as appropriate, while recognizing that mission is the primary driver for all transactions.
- Leading deal negotiations on financial terms for proposed investments.
- Working closely with legal counsel on term sheets and other transactional documents.
- Collaborating with the Medical team to ensure financial terms and expected returns are aligned with an investment’s strategic value.
- Monitoring industry trends in capital flows and required returns by attending industry, banking and medical conferences.
- Monitoring financial returns on completed transactions in a cost-effective and time-efficient manner.
Investment Sourcing And Analytics Responsibilities
- Collaborating with the Medical team to develop and maintain a database of companies with early-stage opportunities in key strategic areas.
- Developing and maintaining relationships with leading Biotech venture capital firms to identify potential opportunities for investment through Limited Partnerships, Co-investments and Special Purpose Vehicles.
- Assessing and tracking emerging leaders in promising drug development technologies.
- Conducting pro-active outreach to prospective partners that are pursuing promising approaches outside the CF field.
- Building market maps in key therapeutic areas to support sourcing activities.
- Developing scalable sourcing processes to accelerate investment in new opportunities.
Knowledge, Skills And Abilities Required
- Minimum of 8 to 10 years of experience working for a venture capital, biotechnology, pharmaceutical, or private equity firm in a business development role; comparable experience in healthcare/biotechnology investment banking also considered.
- Bachelor’s degree required with strong preference for life sciences major, graduate degree in business administration preferred.
- Advanced skills in Excel, Word and PowerPoint required; Working knowledge of private markets data base(s) required; Proficiency with FactSet and/or Bloomberg preferred.
- A broad business understanding of biomedical and pharma drug development including knowledge of deal structures and terms used to fund early-stage projects.
- Strong project management skills, including an ability to coordinate work across medical, financial and legal functions.
- Strong analytical and communication skills, including an ability to perform complex financial analyses and to present results clearly.
- Ability to understand biological scientific concepts relevant to drug development and to analyze limited data sets to make significant judgments about investment opportunities and options.
- Self-motivated and results oriented with ability to quickly analyze data and communicate results.
- Ability to assess competing priorities and manage multiple complex assignments.
- Able to build and foster trusting, sustainable relationships with key stakeholders.
- Able to collaborate and partner with other subject matter experts and business leaders from widely varying backgrounds, including scientific, legal and business disciplines.
- Comfortable interacting with the highest levels of senior management.
- Normal office environment with little exposure to excessive noise, dust and temperature.
- No heavy lifting required.
If interested, please apply here.