District Ventures Capital is Canada’s leading venture capital firm dedicated to supporting early-stage consumer packaged goods companies in the food, beverage, personal care, and wellness sectors. Led by Arlene Dickinson, District is uniquely positioned to provide early-stage companies with unparalleled multi-disciplined business support. The Fund’s capital is invested with some of Canada’s most exciting early-stage companies led by dedicated and passionate entrepreneurs. District is unique because of the resources dedicated to support those entrepreneurs, especially in the areas of marketing, sales, strategy, and distribution.
It is a very exciting time to be investing in the CPG industry with food and beverage, health and wellness companies. If you are interested in joining our team, we are hiring.
Description of the role:
We are looking to bring on a Senior Associate level candidate in District’s Toronto office. The ideal candidate is a high achiever, driven, critical thinking, intellectually curious, and inquisitive individual with strong teamwork, technical, and multi-tasking skills. The candidate also has experience conversing with owners and entrepreneurs in a professional and transaction setting. The primary role of the candidate will be to assist in managing District’s existing portfolio of investments which includes oversight, analysis, and helping to complete follow-on transactions in the existing portfolio. The candidate will also work with other entities in District’s ecosystem including Venturepark Labs, a national business accelerator program for the CPG industry in Canada.
In addition to processing transactions and supporting entrepreneurs, the candidate will need to review investment opportunities and support Fund operations.
Specifically, the candidate will be expected to have the skills to:
- Prepare term sheets based on preliminary research and District’s approach to structure and valuation;
- Design and execute a due diligence program to validate assumptions, mitigate risk and document findings;
- Prepare a transaction financial model to calibrate investee company performance metrics and to facilitate capital planning;
- Manage the legal documentation and negotiation of the transaction terms and ancillary agreements;
- Monitor portfolio companies and their performance against plans and ensure they take advantage of the resources available from the broader District ecosystem;
- Participate in the management of the Fund operations including the preparation of summary reports, deal flow updates and ongoing portfolio company valuation;
- Support deal origination efforts.
- Excellent academic performance at a top-tier university or college with a Bachelor of Commerce or similarly focused degree;
- Minimum 5 years of relevant transaction experience and/or experience in a management consulting environment;
- Expertise in building financial models, and proficiency in translating unorganized data into thoughtfully structured analysis;
- Demonstrated ability to execute and present detailed financial analysis;
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills with the ability to converse with business owners and executives at a high-level;
- Ability to work flexible hours to grow within a fast-growing organization;
- Experience in the food and beverage industry would be considered an asset.
Interested candidates should provide a cover letter and resume, with the file titled in the format “FIRSTNAME_LASTNAME” to email@example.com.