When you join New York Life, you’re joining a company that values development, career growth, collaboration, innovation, and diversity & inclusion. We want employees to feel proud about being part of a company that is committed to doing the right thing. Through various resources and programs, you can grow your career while developing personally and professionally.
Launched in 2012, New York Life Ventures is a leading strategic Corporate Venture Capital unit focused on exploring new technologies, investing in start-ups and impacting the pace of innovation and competitive advantage for New York Life. The unit is comprised of three highly interconnected functions: Venture Investments, Business Development, and Innovation Services. Importantly, a well-developed trusted relationship network aids in sourcing high quality investment/partnership opportunities while informing business unit strategies and competitive intelligence for the broader New York Life.
The NYLV Business Development team is passionate about sourcing innovative early-stage technologies for introduction and partnership development with New York Life’s various operating businesses, while also sourcing and informing direct venture investment opportunities.
The [Senior Associate – Business Development] role is critical to driving change throughout NYL via the testing of new, innovative technologies. We are seeking someone who is eager for the challenge of developing new opportunities that can drive massive impact within a large enterprise. Candidates will have the ability to build strong relationships with both internal partners (business leaders) and external partners (typically Founders of start-ups), while developing a deep understanding of NYL’s business and technology strategies and road maps.
As Part Of This Effort, You Will
- Challenge employees to think differently by testing new technologies,
- Conduct in-depth research of strategic themes and help stretch innovative thinking for NYLV and throughout the enterprise,
- Identify and support socialization paths for new technologies and the development of proof of concept testing opportunities and
- Support investment diligence efforts.
We are committed to continuous improvement – and you should be too!
- Working closely with the NYLV’s Head of Business Development and teammates to support swift yet thorough execution of Socialization/Proof of Concept (PoC) projects. This includes leading and facilitating meetings with relevant early-stage companies and internal stakeholders
- Identify and prioritize business challenges and POC Testing opportunities across NYL; recommend and then work to execute actions and/or solutions, as appropriate
- Develop a deep knowledge of NYL’s Enterprise, Investments, and Insurance related strategies and recommend opportunities for the testing of new technologies
- Screen relevant companies and conduct diligence before potentially introducing the technology into a NYL operating unit. Formalize feedback from the Team and create summary briefs which will be used to support education/socialization with Senior Executive Management
- Update NYLV’s CRM to support the tracking and reporting of NYLV activities and metrics. Challenge current processes and recommend enhancement opportunities
- Provide feedback on the commercial applicability and strategic benefits of technologies that are tested to NYLV’s Investments Team to support due-diligence processes
- Represent NYLV by partnering throughout NYL to help promote innovation including participation at Company sponsored Hackathons and similar community building events
- Support Head of NYLV and Head of BD on special projects such as future state whitepapers or thematic presentation decks
- Communicates difficult concepts, and influences others to adopt a different point of view
- Interprets business challenges, identifies trends and provides data-driven recommendations. Collaborates with NYLV teammates as well as with partners across the Company to solve complex problems
- Providing feedback to both internal and external stakeholders throughout socialization/testing engagements is a key attribute for success
- Commit to and maintain a growth mindset. Have fun!
You have a minimum of 5-7 years’ of relevant professional experience, with proficiency in Microsoft Office, outstanding presentation skills, mature soft/relationship management skills, and excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills. You have a pre-existing knowledge and a personal view of key technology themes that are impacting the financial services industry in the short, medium, and long term. You have the ability to understand others’ point of view on technology themes and collaborate with a high degree of empathy. Through your prior work experience, you have demonstrated the ability to manage projects and deliver tangible results.
Recognized as one of Fortune’s World’s Most Admired Companies, New York Life is committed to improving local communities through a culture of employee giving and volunteerism, supported by our Foundation . We invite you to bring your talents to New York Life, so we can continue to help families and businesses “Be Good At Life.” To learn more, please visit LinkedIn , our Newsroom and the Careers page of http://www.NewYorkLife.com .
If interested, please apply here.