The University System Office seeks a Visiting Senior Associate to engage in fulfilling the purpose of the Company. Specifically, this purpose is to support the operations and investment activity of Illinois Ventures, which, through multiple seed and early-stage investment vehicles, provides startup and early-stage venture financing for companies derived from technology originated or developed by faculty, staff, students and/or alumni of the University. The Visiting Senior Associate will support the efforts of the CEO and the Directors to promote these objectives.Duties:
Additional responsibilities include:
- Source and evaluate seed and early-stage venture capital investments in high-growth companies derived from technology originated or developed by faculty, staff, students, and/or alumni of the University of Illinois and other research institutions, federal laboratories, or other sources in Illinois and the Midwest.
- Create investment memos for potential venture capital investments which include written memos detailing due diligence outcomes with an emphasis on technology and market assessments, competitive analyses, and financial return models. Investment memos will be presented to the Illinois Ventures Board of Managers and related Investment Committees for investment consideration.
- Create, develop and produce valuation models and memos for Illinois Ventures and its affiliated funds’ investments in individual portfolio companies, following best practices for the venture capital industry.
- Prepare quarterly reporting for Limited Partners including progress and financial reports for existing portfolio companies and new investments. Maintain reports and records relating to company financings, valuations, restructurings, and liquidity events including but not limited to funding estimates and fund usages for existing and future funds.
- Manage the Illinois Ventures Fellowship program and supervise undergraduate and graduate level students and interns as needed.
- Interact with the University’s technology managers, faculty, ecosystem partners and Illinois Ventures professional staff to identify, screen and evaluate prospects presented to Illinois Ventures and its affiliated venture capital funds.
- Engage with faculty and, to a lesser extent, student entrepreneurs to support the creation of potential new high-technology ventures. Advise and mentor faculty and student entrepreneurs on strategies for commercialization and new venture financing, including the development of management teams, technology and commercial milestones, and investment pitches/packages.
- Other duties as assigned appropriate for a Visiting Senior Associate.
Candidates must possess a master’s or other advanced degree in business, science or engineering that is relevant to entrepreneurship or to the technology commercialization process with five years of relevant experience (working with technologies and/or early-stage companies is desired). Other qualifications include: strong general business skills and an in-depth understanding of venture capital and entrepreneurial finance; excellent financial and analytical skills, including experience in developing complex financial models; ability to communicate effectively with research faculty and technology company founders; knowledge of or experience in organizing and building new high-tech start-up businesses; excellent written and oral communications skills.
This is a full-time, 12-month Academic Professional position. For full consideration, candidates must apply and submit a letter of application, resume, and names/addresses/phone numbers of three professional references by September 7, 2021 at https://uajobs.hr.uillinois.edu/.
The System Office conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer of employment. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act. The University of Illinois System requires candidates selected for hire to disclose any documented finding of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment and to authorize inquiries to current and former employers regarding findings of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment. For more information, visit https://www.hr.uillinois.edu/cms/One.aspx?portalId=4292&pageId=1411899
If interested, please apply here.