The Employment Technology Fund (“ETF” or “ETF@JFFLabs”) is an impact investment fund housed within JFFLabs. JFFLabs is the innovation engine of JFF, a national nonprofit that drives transformation in the American workforce and education systems. For over 35 years, JFF has led the way in designing innovative and scalable solutions that create access to economic advancement for all.
JFFLabs was formed in 2018, to mobilize promising technologies and strategic partnerships to scale solutions that expand economic advancement for all. We bridge the gap between companies and startups, traditional education and workforce systems, and investment.
ETF@JFFLabs invests in companies that harness the power of technology and entrepreneurship to improve economic opportunity and mobility for workers with low wage or low to middle skills.
We are on a mission to seed the most impactful workforce development and employment technology tools helping improve career pathways and create economic mobility. ETF@JFFLabs is the first impact investment fund to focus entirely on workforce and future of work technologies. The companies we invest in provide access to skills training and opportunities for millions of disadvantaged adults living in the US. Learn more about ETF@JFFLabs here.
About the position:
We are seeking a Senior Associate to join our ETF@JFFLabs team. This is an opportunity to be an important member of a small and growing team, and you will have the opportunity to shape our fund, our team, and our culture. This role is the right fit for you if you believe in the power of innovation and investment to create impact, have a deeply held desire to serve others, and want to play a key role in growing a high-impact fund.
As the most specialized and one of the most active future of work / workforce technology impact investors in the market, ETF@JFFLabs offers the opportunity to be on the cutting edge of innovation and impact for workers. The companies we invest in are shaping the future of work and providing opportunity to millions of people, and we are on a path to expand our impact exponentially in the coming years. We are excited for what is around the corner and need your help to grow ETF@JFFLabs to the next level.
What you’ll do:
Investments and Operations
- Support sourcing strategy and directly drive deal flow
- Engage thoughtfully in company and entrepreneur introductions
- Evaluate and respond rapidly to new investment opportunities, including holding initial screening conversations with startups and evaluating those for fit with ETF
- Present prospective opportunities and deals to our team and Investment Committee
- Engage thoughtfully in company and entrepreneur introductions
- Directly source new investment opportunities from current and new networks
- Perform market research to help identify investment trends and opportunities
- Research relevant markets and companies and synthesize into actionable reporting
- Conduct rigorous due diligence
- Lead in the investment analysis process by building financial models and analyzing the competitive landscape and size of the market
- Support comprehensive due diligence, including on product, technology, market, and social impact
- Prepare and present investment memos to Investment Committee
- Portfolio Support and Management
- Identify opportunities that support the success of our companies, such as potential business development partnerships, new hire introductions, sales leads, and fundraising support
- Provide strategic support to founders and CEOs in the ETF portfolio to more rapidly scale effective solutions, including validating sales/revenue models, making introductions to potential partners, funding pilots to validate measurable impact and improve solutions, and supporting efforts to raise additional capital
- Design and execute meaningful, high-value experiences for our entrepreneurs
- Support quarterly and annual financial and impact performance review and reporting of ETF portfolio
Strategy and Leadership
- Represent the ETF in public and private forums with potential funders, decision makers, the media, organizational leaders, and other stakeholders
- Work with founding ETF directors and key partners to develop a comprehensive strategy to raise the profile of ETF and drive a national narrative around adult employment and future of work issues
- Serve as an internal connector and advocate for ETF within JFF to enhance and realize the synergies across ETF, its portfolio companies, and JFF’s broader programs and networks
- Contribute to strategic direction on priority issues for the ETF
- Support ETF fundraising efforts, including preparing fundraising materials, supporting funder diligence, and outreach to potential funders
- Prepare high-quality external-facing documents, including marketing materials and thought leadership pieces
- Support ETF Advisory Board and Investment Committee engagement, including contributing to strategy and preparing materials for meeting
Who you are:
- You believe in JFF’s core values and apply those values to all areas of your work. You have a passion for helping workers advance and for leveling the playing field to create economic opportunity for all in a nonprofit environment
- You preferably have 5 or more years of experience or equivalent combination of education and experience in venture capital, management consulting, private equity, private debt, investment banking and/or impact investing or a combination of workforce development and technology roles
- You have knowledge of and passion for using investing to create social impact
- You have an inclusive approach to your work, working effectively with diverse staff, and valuing diversity, equity, and inclusion as an applied practice to all areas of work, including program, partnership, and team management
- You have strong financial and analytical skills with a high attention to detail
- You are excellent at working independently, multi-tasking, and prioritizing competing demands, as well as working with teams to move the work forward
- You have outstanding, demonstrated written and verbal communication skills. You have the ability to persuasively and efficiently communicate information and execute high-caliber meetings and sessions with internal and external partners
- You are positive and enthusiastic. You have a proactive attitude and the ability to demonstrate humility while collaborating with teams and partners
- You are a curious and adaptive learner, with a willingness to take in new information, perspectives and data to continuously improve in your work
- You have the flexibility and willingness to do what it takes in an entrepreneurial, fast-growing team environment
- You have the ability to effectively engage with interdisciplinary partners, including startups, private investors, governmental agencies, and non-governmental or community-based organizations
- You have expert knowledge of Microsoft and Google business tools, including MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at JFF:
JFF is committed to sustaining a diverse community with a work environment that is welcoming, respectful, and encouraging to all. JFF fosters a culture of inclusion that celebrates and cultivates diversity along multiple dimensions, including race, ethnicity, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, national origin, socioeconomic status, religion, ability, culture, and experience.
As part of your application, please include your resume and a thoughtful cover letter, addressed to Yigal Kerszenbaum (Managing Director, ETF@JFFLabs) and Joann Chen (Director, ETF@JFFLabs), outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position.