Emerson Collective is a social change organization that uses a broad range of tools including philanthropy, investing, and policy solutions to create the greatest good for the greatest number of people. Established and led by Laurene Powell Jobs, we work to create new possibilities for individuals and communities. Emerson Collective is impatient but optimistic, and bold but pragmatic in its approach. We are seeking colleagues with both the audacity to dream up new ways to improve the world, and the determination to make them a reality.
The venture team invests in mission-driven leaders building technology companies that are creating innovative solutions to the world’s biggest problems. The companies are at the intersection of positive financial returns and scalable long-term social impact. Sectors we invest in include financial technology, digital health, agriculture technology, government technology, education technology, the future of work, longevity, and digital media. You would be a member of the venture team with a focus on early stage investments ( pre-seed, seed, and series A).
Role and Responsibilities
As a member of the venture investing team, you would play a key role in building out our early stage investing efforts. Your job would consist of:
- Identifying companies that have a high-impact solution in a growing market and are led by a collaborative, diverse team whose impact would be amplified with EC’s investment.
- Building relationships with a broad range of founders and early-stage investors in order to find, diligence, invest in and support potential and current portfolio companies in achieving their potential.
- Using quantitative and qualitative skills to perform diligence on our target investments, and communicating your findings in a clear, concise manner. This will include the preparation of presentations and investment memos.
- Preparing industry sector analysis to help guide our investment strategy.
- Supporting our companies as they grow, including potential business development partnerships, new hire introductions, sales leads, and fundraising support.
- Continuously improving our team’s processes and interactions as we work to become more equitable, inclusive investors and teammates.
- Engaging with the broader EC network to facilitate collaboration opportunities with our portfolio companies and initiatives.
Qualifications and Skills
- Deep commitment and passion for making an impact in the technology space
- You have at least 2 years of relevant work experience in venture capital, a startup, a technology company, investment banking, or management consulting.
- You have demonstrated interest in supporting a diverse range of purpose-driven entrepreneurs who are solving important, complex problems.
- You produce thorough and concise quantitative and qualitative analyses to form opinions about companies. You communicate directly, empathetically, and concisely in both written and verbal form.
- You thrive in entrepreneurial environments. You are comfortable taking on new tasks or projects with little direction and adjusting course in response to feedback and information.
- You respond to new ideas, projects, and tasks with enthusiasm and are able to operationalize them after looking at them from multiple perspectives (considering the opportunities, risks, creative alternatives, and possible paths forward).
- You are a collaborative team player with high integrity and work ethic. You invite different perspectives into your work and are committed to improving yourself and others by seeking and delivering specific feedback.
If you are interested Please fill in this interest form, bit.ly/ecinterestform, and send your resume to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.