AVG’s purpose is to grow and engage with this inclusive community of teammates, investors, and entrepreneurs to disrupt the status quo and build a better future. Fueled by a disruptive business model and an innovative solution for an underserved market, Alumni Ventures Group (AVG) is growing rapidly, with roughly 100 employees working from locations in Boston, Chicago, New York City, the Bay Area, Austin, and a headquarters in Manchester, NH.
AVG provides accredited investors with a smart simple way to own high-quality, professionally-managed venture portfolios. AVG offers dozens of distinct funds, including: 16 Alumni Funds that support the entrepreneurial ecosystems of the alumni of top universities nationwide; Focused Funds that offer specific investment themes broadly to accredited investors; and Syndication investment Funds in individual start-up companies, and more. We are private, for-profit, and not affiliated with any school. AVG is a fast-paced work environment with a dedicated approach to growth and innovation that is centered on regular change, experimentation, learning (from both failures and successes), iteration, and continuous improvement.
AVG has raised over $500 million; has invested in over 500 portfolio companies on behalf of thousands of accredited investors; and supports a widespread, engaged community of more than 500,000 stakeholders that includes investors, entrepreneurs, subscribers and community members. AVG typically co-invests with established venture firms and does not lead investment rounds or take board seats. Last year, AVG was the third most-active venture investor in the US.
ABOUT THIS ROLE
Congress Avenue Ventures, Alumni Ventures Groups’s AVG’s fund for UTexas alumni and friends of the community, is seeking an experienced, full-time Senior Associate who will initiate, develop and grow relationships with entrepreneurs at premier private companies. The successful Senior Associate at Congress Avenue Ventures will source, evaluate, conduct due diligence and ultimately execute venture investments that drive investing capabilities for Congress Avenue Ventures & AVG.
You’ll be joining a fast-paced, professional, and entrepreneurial environment where you’ll have significant input into the creation of a unique, diversified, fast-growing portfolio. You will leverage a well vetted playbook, back office support, and processes created by the parent company Alumni Ventures Group to help in executing your role and collaborate with a talented team of marketing and investing professionals. This is a full-time position based out of AVG’s office in New York.
- Network with UTexas alums in the venture community
- Participate in the identification of deal sourcing targets (typically Series A, B or C stage)
- Support construction and evaluation of fund portfolio:
- Conduct outreach to VCs, entrepreneurs, incubators, and more to help fill our deal pipeline with prospects:
- Educate deal sources and companies/entrepreneurs about our process and effectively manage relationships in a professional, courteous manner
- Evaluate ~25 companies per week resulting in deep-dives on 3-5 per month and investment into ~25 per year to create a balanced portfolio across industry/sector, stage and geography
- Research and evaluate each company and industry as a potential investment, including interviewing company teams, competitors, and customers
- Work closely with sibling funds to identify mutual interesting investment opportunities
- Manage deal flow and related database inputs
- Develop and maintain proprietary deal and market intelligence
- Orchestrate and execute Investment Committee meetings
- Prep and distribute due diligence packages for the Investment Committee
- (IC) and Alumni Venture Group sibling funds to review
- Present companies and respond to Managing Partner and LP questions
- Help supervise back-end functions like moving deals through closing, monitoring historical portfolios, and tracking statistics for the team
- Contribute positively to AVG’s culture
- Venture Capital or direct investing experience is a plus
- A degree from The University of Texas at Austin is preferred
- MBA is preferred
- 2-5 years of experience in venture capital, private equity, finance, technology, or a leadership / business development role in an entrepreneurial organization.
- Experience working simultaneously on multiple projects and managing a high-volume of relationships
Requirements for an ideal candidate
- Desire to build a career in venture and enthusiastic about venture investing and AVG’s model
- Has been part of a successful small team or start-up organization and/or has led new projects or built initiatives from the ground up
- Communication skills:
- leverages a direct communication style to raise questions and name concerns early
- mastery of professional written and verbal communication
- is able to engage a mature business audience
- Ability to quickly comprehend, evaluate and critique a venture’s business model, market opportunity and team
- Awareness of the venture capital community including leading investment funds and partners, historical successes and failures
- Strong analytical and financial analysis skills
- Demonstrated interest and experience in emerging companies, and experience in company research and due diligence preparation
- Curious and eager to learn, willing to take on new responsibilities at all levels with enthusiasm
- Experience successfully managing multiple, complex projects at the same time
- Good networker, with an ability to help grow our system and process for identifying investment opportunities
- Highly organized and detail-oriented, balanced by ability to get and communicate big picture
- Self-starter and independent manager, but great team player, preferably with personnel management experience
- Smart, creative thinker and problem-solver, fast learner, with demonstrated initiative
- Database management and strong technical and social media experience a big plus
- Base Salary
- Carried Interest
- Equity in AVG
- Competitive Benefits
If interested, please apply here.