Avanta Ventures is the venture capital team of CSAA Insurance Group (CSAA IG), a AAA insurer. We are investing in early-stage startups with the potential to be breakthrough leaders in their market segments and partnering with them for mutual benefit and growth. Avanta Ventures’ areas of investment focus include insurtech, mobility, fintech, cyber security, IoT and more.
We are seeking a highly motivated self-starter Senior Associate to join our team who will take a critical role in investing, advancing thought leadership and strategy, fostering new idea generation, and synthesizing perspectives on the changing market landscape.
This position is located in Mountain View, CA.
- Create a point of view on market developments and the startup ecosystem
- Craft investment theses and research focus areas to identify new opportunities. Develop market landscapes, value chain analyses, and points of views on emerging trends
- Research and write topics for quarterly Insights Reports at a high quality level of written-communication
- Network at external events, conferences, Silicon Valley meetups, forums, etc. Evangelize Avanta Ventures externally and demonstrate thought leadership; participate meaningfully in Avanta Ventures-sponsored startup ecosystem events
- Identify and source investment opportunities in compatible, strategic, and ground-breaking startups
- Support due diligence plans, drive the due diligence process, write investment memos, presentations and help guide opportunities end-to-end through the investment process
- Prepare and review investment memos with Avanta Ventures’ Partners
- Assist with portfolio company monitoring, reporting and feedback to Avanta Ventures’ Partners
- Improve deal pipeline and portfolio management processes, tools, and tracking
- Collaborate with portfolio companies to broker partnerships with the CSAA IG ecosystem
- Foster collaborative relationships within the CSAA IG ecosystem
What would make us excited about you
- Actively curious with an open-mind for disruptive technology trends, products, and business models across multiple domains
- Passionate consumer of information across a broad range of subjects and able to analyze, synthesize and influence through insights gleaned
- Investment acumen to effectively assess market opportunities and dynamics, management teams, emerging business models, and new technologies and products
- Strong interpersonal skills to rapidly build relationships for both deal sourcing and business development purposes
- Outstanding communication skills with a compelling, logical, and well-structured style in presentations, narrative prose, and oral arguments
- Detailed understanding of the high-tech startup and venture capital environment with existing relationships across the ecosystem
- Facile in structuring business development partnerships with clear joint value propositions, business case development, business modeling, and validation
- Trusted executive presence, sophistication and discretion
- Collaborative, adaptable, and flexible teammate
Required Experience & Qualifications
- MBA from competitive business school
- 5+ total years of applicable experience
- At least 3 years’ experience in venture capital with a leading financial or corporate venture capital firm, corporate strategy, strategy consulting, or investment banking firm with a focus on technology
- B.S. in engineering, math or equivalent subject area from competitive school
- Successful previous investment track record of sourcing venture investments with proven strategic and financial return on investment a plus
- 2+ years in a VC-backed startup a plus
Our differences, visible and invisible, make every individual at CSAA Insurance Group unique and valuable. We strive to foster a culture where all employees feel a sense of belonging and can leverage their differences to thrive. We believe in embracing our unique identities, experiences, and points of view to advance our company and reflect our communities and members.
This role is designated as an office/an office-flexible role that is non-essential. If you are hired, where you will be working may be temporarily impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. Covid-19 vaccination, while encouraged, is not a requirement for employment, but your decision to disclose your vaccination status may impact your work location. Office or office-flexible employees are currently eligible to work in CSAA offices if they provide proof of full vaccination for COVID-19.
CSAA anticipates that all office/office-flexible/field employees, whether vaccinated or not, will be able to work in CSAA offices at some future point in time.
If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process
please contact TalentAcquisition@csaa.com.
IF interested, please apply here.